Tara J. Hamilton
Tara Hamilton is a registered foreign lawyer in the special situations team in the Hong Kong office. She is experienced in both contentious and non-contentious insolvency-related matters, and acts for a range of stakeholders involved in distressed situations.
Tara advises on broad range of issues, from formal court-driven insolvency processes through to informal restructuring of distressed corporate groups. Her experience includes advising clients in relation to formal insolvency appointments and processes, informal workouts, distressed M&A, secondary debt trading and loan portfolio sales.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Tara practiced in Singapore and in Sydney, Australia. Tara previously clerked for the Honorable Justice L.G. Foster of the Federal Court of Australia.
Notable transactions in which Tara has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Advising a substantial shareholder in relation to the restructure of an ASX listed media operation.
- Advising a consortium led by a HK based investment fund in relation to the restructure of an ASX listed transportation company.
- Drafting policy and legislation for a new insolvency regime for the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, under instruction of the Asian Development Bank.
- Advising a leading oil major in connection with the restructuring of a refinery and petrochemical project in Southeast Asia.
- Advising an international bank on the restructuring of its significant debt exposure to a leading integrated hard coking coal mining company operating in Indonesia.
- Advising an international bank on the restructuring of a sugar refining company operating in Vietnam.
- Advising a leading global resources company on its exposure arising out of coal supply agreements to Europe's largest steel plant by output capacity.
- Advising an international bank on the restructuring of loan facilities granted to one of India's leading infrastructure development companies.