Tara J. Hamilton
Tara Hamilton is an associate in the special situations team in the Hong Kong office. She is experienced in both contentious and non-contentious insolvency-related matters, and acts for a range of stakeholders involved in distressed situations.
Tara advises on broad range of issues, from formal court-driven insolvency processes through to informal restructuring of distressed corporate groups. Her experience includes advising clients in relation to formal insolvency appointments and processes, informal workouts, distressed M&A, secondary debt trading and loan portfolio sales.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Tara practiced in Singapore and in Sydney, Australia. Tara previously clerked for the Honorable Justice L.G. Foster of the Federal Court of Australia.
- Advising a committee of noteholders in the restructuring of notes issued by subsidiaries of Rolta India Limited.
- Advising the Joint Official Liquidators of LDK Solar Co. Limited.
Notable transactions in which Tara has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Advising a substantial shareholder in relation to the restructure of an ASX listed media operation.
- Advising a consortium led by a HK based investment fund in relation to the restructure of an ASX listed transportation company.
- Drafting policy and legislation for a new insolvency regime for the Republic of the Union of Myanmar, under instruction of the Asian Development Bank.
- Advising a leading oil major in connection with the restructuring of a refinery and petrochemical project in Southeast Asia.
- Advising an international bank on the restructuring of its significant debt exposure to a leading integrated hard coking coal mining company operating in Indonesia.
- Advising an international bank on the restructuring of a sugar refining company operating in Vietnam.
- Advising a leading global resources company on its exposure arising out of coal supply agreements to Europe's largest steel plant by output capacity.
- Advising an international bank on the restructuring of loan facilities granted to one of India's leading infrastructure development companies.
- Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice, Australian National University, 2011
- LLB, Honors, University of Sydney, 2010
- BA (Communications and International Studies), University of Technology Sydney, 2007
Admissions / Qualifications
- Hong Kong, Solicitor, 2019
- New South Wales, Australia, Solicitor, 2012
- Supreme Court of New South Wales, Australia, 2012
- High Court of Australia, 2015