Josiah Irvin is an associate practicing in the firm’s health care practice group. He regularly provides transactional, compliance and regulatory advice to a wide range of health care clients, including digital health companies; hospitals, health systems, and pharmacies; managed care organizations; pharmaceutical and medical device manufacturers; and alternative and innovative health care providers.
Josiah has experience advising clients in various aspects of regulatory compliance, including reimbursement under federal health care programs and health care fraud and abuse laws, such as the Stark Law, the Anti-Kickback Statute and the False Claims Act, federal and state licensure requirements, fraud and abuse laws, insurer regulation, drug payment standards, and federal compliance program requirements. He also regularly advises clients on data privacy, protection and security matters under HIPAA and state privacy and security laws.
- Defended digital health companies, health providers and product suppliers in connection with investigations by U.S. Department of Justice, various U.S. Attorney’s Offices, and state Attorneys General into alleged Medicare fraud.
- Counseled digital health companies, managed care organizations, and health care providers on compliance with federal and state health information technology, privacy and data security laws, including as related to potential data security and privacy breaches.
- Advised non-profit providers, for-profit providers and managed care organizations on opportunities, including as strategic transactions and accountable care organizations, related to New York State Medicaid reform.
- Represented hospitals, managed care plans, pharmaceutical companies, community-based providers, medical device companies, academic medical centers and other for-profit and tax-exempt organizations in corporate transactions, mergers and affiliations on corporate governance, structuring, contracting, operational and regulatory considerations.
- Defended a hospital against a state Medicaid overpayment recoupment action.
- Advised private equity firms on investment considerations for health care targets, including a management services organization and physician group practices.
- Co-author, “HHS Sets Out to Tackle Health Information Access and Exchanges,” Law360 (February 22, 2019)
- Presenter, “Telehealth Web Conference,” Healthcare Association of New York State (April 17, 2018)
- JD, magna cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 2016; articles editor, Boston University Law Review, Health Law with honors concentration
- BA (Economics), University of North Carolina, 2011; Phi Beta Kappa