Matt Jones is a partner in Ropes & Gray’s employment, executive compensation & employee benefits practice group, based in Chicago. He focuses his practice on executive compensation and employee benefits issues in domestic and cross-border M&A, IPOs, spin-offs, divestitures, take-privates, and other similar transactions.
Matt works closely with boards of directors, compensation committees, and senior management at some of the world’s largest private equity sponsors and public companies, counseling clients on tax, corporate governance, employment, and securities issues related to executive compensation. He frequently assists with equity compensation plans; annual and long-term bonus plans; retention plans; employment, severance, and change in control agreements; non-qualified deferred compensation plans; and tax-qualified retirement and group health plans.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Matt was an executive compensation partner at a leading global law firm.
- Represented H.I.G. Capital in its $950 million acquisition of Avient Corp.’s distribution unit.
- Represented TPG in its investment into Musixmatch, a leading global music data platform.
- Represented Planview in its acquisitions of Tasktop, a pioneer and leader in Value Stream Management (VSM), and Enrich, a product portfolio analytics company.
- Represented TPG Growth portfolio company IPG, a leading surgical management technology and services provider, in a sale agreement to Evolent Health.
- Represented H.I.G. Capital in its acquisition of Pixelle Specialty Solutions, a specialty papers and sustainable packaging provider, from Lindsay Goldberg.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its strategic investment in Exigo.
- Represented TPG Capital and its portfolio company Nintex, a workflow automation company, in the acquisition of Kryon, a provider of robotic process automation.
- Represented ConvaTec Group in its acquisition of medical device company Triad Life Sciences.
- Represented the underwriters in the initial public offering of TPG Inc.
- Represented Audax Private Equity in its acquisition of a controlling interest in Centerline Communications LLC.
- Represented TPG Capital and its portfolio company Wind River in the software company’s $4.3 billion sale to Aptiv PLC.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its acquisition of 7 Mindsets Academy LLC.
- Represented Domaille Engineering in its sale to American Industrial Partners and ADDMAN Engineering.
- Represented Irth Solutions, a portfolio company of Gauge Capital, in its sale to Blackstone Energy Partners.
- Represented H.I.G. Capital in its acquisition of BECO Holding Company, the leading provider of critical fire life safety solutions, from Behrman Capital.
- Represented Welsh Carson Anderson & Stowe (WCAS) in its investment in U.S. Medical Management, LLC.
- Represented TPG Capital in its acquisition of a majority stake in Nintex from Thoma Bravo.
- Represented Ellucian, a portfolio company of TPG Capital and Leonard Green & Partners, in the completion of its sale to Blackstone and Vista Equity Partners.
- Represented CIVC Partners, L.P. in its investment in 829 Studios, a Boston-based marketing services firm that provides integrated, data-driven digital services to clients across B2C and B2B verticals.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its sale of Teachers of Tomorrow.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its investment in CENTEGIX, the market-leading provider of location-aware emergency communications.
- Represented H.I.G. Capital in an affiliate acquisition of Oxford Global Resources, a leading provider of specialty staffing and consulting services in the United States and Europe.
- Represented The Jordan Company in its acquisition of Arclin from Lone Star.
- Represented Audax Private Equity in its investment in Team Cymru, a global leader in cyber threat intelligence.
- Represented TPG Capital in its $16.25 billion investment in DirecTV with AT&T.
- Represented CIVC Partners LP in its investment in Young & Associates in partnership with Ray & Linda Young and the existing Young management team.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its investment in NINJIO, LLC, a cybersecurity awareness training company.
- Represented Francisco Partners and TPG Capital in their $4 billion acquisition of Boomi from Dell Technologies.
- Represented TPG Growth in its acquisition of Implantable Provider Group, Inc., a leading provider of surgical cost management solutions.
- Represented TPG Capital and TA Associates in their $1.6 billion joint acquisition of Planview, a software company providing portfolio management and work management solutions.
- Represented TPG Capital in its sale of Gelson’s Markets to Pan Pacific International Holdings.
- Alongside Noerr LLP, represented North Lane Technologies, formerly Wirecard North America Inc., to Syncapay, Inc.
- Represented Asklepios BioPharmaceutical in its $4 billion sale to Bayer AG.
- Advised Baring Private Equity Asia in its acquisition of Virtusa Corporation, a global provider of digital strategy, digital engineering, and IT services and solutions, valued at approximately $2 billion.
- Advised BV Investment Partners in the sale of its portfolio company Franco Signor to Verisk.
- Represented Circa, a portfolio company of Gauge Capital, in its acquisition of America’s Job Exchange.
- Advised GI Partners in the completion of its acquisition of Clinical Ink, a global clinical trial technology company.
- Featured, “Ropes & Gray Lures Kirkland Exec Comp Partner In Chicago,” Law360 (June 3, 2020)
- Contributing author, “Mergers, Acquisition, and Buyouts—A Transactional Analysis of the Governing Tax, Legal, and Accounting Considerations,” Wolters Kluwer
- Contributing author, “A Practical Guide to SEC Proxy and Compensation Rules,” Wolters Kluwer
- Contributing author, “Structuring Venture Capital, Private Equity, and Entrepreneurial Transactions,” Wolters Kluwer
- JD, The University of Chicago Law School, 2006
- BA, Trinity College, 2002; Men’s Basketball (Captain)
Admissions / Qualifications
- Illinois, 2007
- New York, 2007
- The Best Lawyers in America (2023)
- U.S. News Best Lawyers in America, Employee Benefits (2022)
- Leading Lawyers, Employee Benefits (2020-2023)
*Less than 5% of all lawyers in Illinois
- Leading Lawyers Emerging Lawyer, Employee Benefits (2016-2019)
*Less than 2% of all lawyers in Illinois
- Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Star, Employee Benefits (2016-2020)