Matt Jones is a partner in Ropes & Gray’s employment, executive compensation & employee benefits practice group, based in Chicago. Matt focuses his practice on all aspects of executive compensation and employee benefits matters in connection with domestic and cross-border business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, spin-offs, divestitures, take-privates, and other similar transactions.
Matt also counsels clients on a wide range of other compensation and benefits and associated securities, tax, corporate governance, and employment matters, including the design, disclosure, and implementation of equity and cash incentive programs; executive employment, severance, and change in control arrangements; deferred compensation plans; and retention programs.
Matt works closely with boards of directors, compensation committees, and senior management of public and private clients on the establishment and operation of compensation and benefits plans and agreements, as well as the legal, human resources, finance, risk, compliance, and audit functions at those clients on administrative and compliance issues related to those plans and agreements.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Matt was an executive compensation partner at a leading global law firm.
- Represented TPG Capital in its $16.25 billion investment in DirecTV with AT&T.
- Represented TPG Capital and TA Associates in their $1.6 billion joint acquisition of Planview, a software company providing portfolio management and work management solutions.
- Represented TPG Capital in its sale of Gelson’s Markets to Pan Pacific International Holdings.
- Represented Asklepios BioPharmaceutical in its $4 billion sale to Bayer AG.
- Advised Baring Private Equity Asia in its acquisition of Virtusa Corporation, a global provider of digital strategy, digital engineering, and IT services and solutions, valued at approximately $2 billion.
- Advised BV Investment Partners in the sale of its portfolio company Franco Signor to Verisk.
- Advised GI Partners in the completion of its acquisition of Clinical Ink, a global clinical trial technology company.
- Featured, “Ropes & Gray Lures Kirkland Exec Comp Partner In Chicago,” Law360 (June 3, 2020)
- Contributing author, “Mergers, Acquisition, and Buyouts—A Transactional Analysis of the Governing Tax, Legal, and Accounting Considerations,” Wolters Kluwer
- Contributing author, “A Practical Guide to SEC Proxy and Compensation Rules,” Wolters Kluwer
- Contributing author, “Structuring Venture Capital, Private Equity, and Entrepreneurial Transactions,” Wolters Kluwer
- JD, The University of Chicago Law School, 2006
- BA, Trinity College, 2002; Men’s Basketball (Captain)
Admissions / Qualifications
- Illinois, 2007
- New York, 2007
- Illinois Super Lawyers Rising Star (2016-2020)
- Leading Lawyers Emerging Lawyer (2016-2020)