Matt Jones is a partner in Ropes & Gray’s employment, executive compensation & employee benefits practice group, based in Chicago. Matt focuses his practice on all aspects of executive compensation and employee benefits matters in connection with domestic and cross-border business transactions, including mergers and acquisitions, initial public offerings, spin-offs, divestitures, take-privates, and other similar transactions.
Matt also counsels clients on a wide range of other compensation and benefits and associated securities, tax, corporate governance, and employment matters, including the design, disclosure, and implementation of equity and cash incentive programs; executive employment, severance, and change in control arrangements; deferred compensation plans; and retention programs.
Matt works closely with boards of directors, compensation committees, and senior management of public and private clients on the establishment and operation of compensation and benefits plans and agreements, as well as the legal, human resources, finance, risk, compliance, and audit functions at those clients on administrative and compliance issues related to those plans and agreements.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Matt was an executive compensation partner at a leading global law firm.
Matt has been involved in the following representations:
- Growth-equity transactions, leveraged buyouts, IPOs, take-privates, asset sales, turn-around investments (majority, minority, and joint venture), and industry consolidation transactions ranging from multiple billions of dollars to tens of millions of dollars for over 10 of the world’s leading private equity firms*
- First-ever IPO of a portfolio company for one of the world’s leading private equity firms*
- Public company’s ~$74 billion acquisition of another public company*
- IPO of one of Illinois’ largest financial institutions*
- Proxy advisory work for over 20 Fortune 500 companies*
- Public company’s ~$2.27 billion acquisition of another public company*
- Public company’s $2.1 billion business unit sale to private company*
*Experience prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- Contributing author, “Mergers, Acquisition, and Buyouts—A Transactional Analysis of the Governing Tax, Legal, and Accounting Considerations,” Wolters Kluwer
- Contributing author, “A Practical Guide to SEC Proxy and Compensation Rules,” Wolters Kluwer
- Contributing author, “Structuring Venture Capital, Private Equity, and Entrepreneurial Transactions,” Wolters Kluwer
- JD, The University of Chicago Law School, 2006
- BA, Trinity College, 2002; Men’s Basketball (Captain)