Matt Jacobson, a partner in Ropes & Gray’s mergers & acquisitions practice and Co-Head of the firm’s Telecom, Media & Technology practice, has more than 20 years of experience advising some of the world’s leading companies and funds in connection with mergers & acquisitions, private equity and venture capital investments, joint ventures, financings and capital markets transactions.
Matt is known for his versatile skill set and depth of knowledge in steering complex cross-border and multi-jurisdictional transactions, complex corporate divestitures and spin-offs. Matt also has extensive experience in the technology, life sciences, automotive and energy sectors.
Previously, Matt served as corporate counsel for Hewlett-Packard Company for five years, where he was responsible for various securities and corporate governance matters and advised on a range of mergers & acquisitions, investment and joint venture transactions, including HP’s merger with Compaq. He also served as a member of the steering committee overseeing the global integration of HP and Compaq.
Throughout his career, Matt has demonstrated the skills, strategic thinking and deep understanding of his clients’ industries and businesses that have made him a highly sought-after advisor to many leading companies and investors doing business globally. He is a recognized thought leader, speaking regularly at industry forums, and has been ranked by the Legal 500 U.S. in the M&A/Corporate and Commercial category for M&A – Middle Market (2015-2016), M&A/Corporate & Commercial – M&A – Large Deals ($1bn) (2019) and Media, technology and telecoms – Technology – Transactions (2019), and was named an Acritas Star in 2018.
- Quoted, “U.S. Leisure M&A Trend Report,” Mergermarket (April 15, 2021)
- Quoted, “Fintech's 2020 M&A Boom Shifts To Consumer-Facing Targets,” Law360 (February 26, 2020)
- Quoted, “Like 'an Episode of Homeland': Fintech and the New CFIUS Rules,” Corporate Counsel and Law.com (February 25, 2020)
- Quoted, “Digital Payments Deal-Making Shows No Signs Of Slowing,” Law360 (June 5, 2019)
- JD, University of California, Hastings College of the Law, 1997
- BA, Stanford University, 1994
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2011
- District of Columbia, 2008
- California, 1997
- Legal 500 U.S. (2015-2016, 2019-2020)
- Acritas Stars (2018)