Aileen J. Kim
Aileen Kim is counsel in the firm’s mergers & acquisitions group. She represents public and private companies in complex domestic and cross border mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, and joint ventures in a broad range of industries. Aileen also advises clients on corporate governance, disclosure issues and compliance matters.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Aileen practiced at international law firms in New York, advising companies on M&A and general corporate and securities matters.
Aileen’s experience includes representing:
- Pfizer Inc. in its pending $11.6 billion acquisition of Biohaven Pharmaceuticals.
- Acceleron Pharma Inc. in its approximate $11.5 billion sale to Merck.
- Dragoneer Growth Opportunities Corp. II in its approximate $5.3 billion business combination with Cvent.
- Medtronic plc in its $1.1 billion acquisition of Intersect ENT.
- Pfizer Inc. in its $6.7 billion acquisition of Arena Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- A global pharmaceutical company in:
- its approximately $13 billion sale of its 20.6% stake in a leading biotechnology company, through a registered public offering and related $5 billion share repurchase by the same biotechnology company;
- its $4.8 billion acquisition of a biopharmaceutical company; and
- its $350 million sale of assets related to surgical products to a leading global medical products company.*
- A multinational pharmaceutical company in:
- its approximately $8 billion acquisition of an oncology company; and
- its $1.1 billion acquisition of a biopharmaceutical company focused on dermatology.*
- Gurnet Point Capital in its approximately $504 million take-private of Corium International, Inc.*
- Straight Path Communications, Inc. in its $3.1 billion sale to Verizon Communications, Inc.*
- MGM Resorts International in:
- the formation of a joint venture between MGM Growth Properties LLC and Blackstone Real Estate Income Trust to acquire the Las Vegas real estate assets of the MGM Grand and Mandalay Bay for $4.6 billion and to lease back these assets to subsidiaries of MGM Resorts; and
- its $4.25 billion sale of the Bellagio to a joint venture MGM Resorts formed with Blackstone Real Estate Income Trust and its leaseback of the Bellagio.*
HNA Group Co. Ltd. in its $6.5 billion acquisition of a 25% stake in the timeshare business of a leading global hospitality company from affiliates of The Blackstone Group.*
- Jefferies Financial Group Inc. in its approximately $165 million acquisition of the remaining 30% shareholding interest it did not already own in HomeFed Corporation.*
- Home Loan Servicing Solutions, Ltd. in its $1.4 billion sale to New Residential Investment Corp.*
- Nortek, Inc., in its $2.8 billion merger with Melrose Industries PLC.*
- Atos S.E. in its $1.1 billion acquisition of the information technology outsourcing business of Xerox Corporation.*
*Indicates experience prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- Cited, “Legal Industry Updates,” The National Law Review (March 11, 2021)
- Cited, “Law Firm News: M&A Counsel Join Ropes & Gray,” Boston Bar Association (March 8, 2021)
- Cited, “Hire Up: After M&A Rebound, Big Law Stocks Up on Deal Lawyers,” The American Lawyer and Law.com (March 5, 2021)
- Cited, “Industry Moves,” Reuters (March 4, 2021)
- JD, cum laude, St. John's University School of Law, 2012; Senior Staff Member, St. John’s Law Review
- BBA (Finance and Marketing), University of Miami, 2005
Admissions / Qualifications
- District of Columbia, 2013
- New York, 2013