Robert M. Kane, Jr.
Robert Kane is an associate in the tax & benefits department. Robert focuses his practice on the tax aspects of domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions. Robert also advises fund sponsors on tax issues in connection with the formation and operation of private investment funds. He also advises clients on the tax aspects of initial public offerings and debt issuances. Robert’s pro bono practice has included the representation of clients in tax controversy matters with the IRS.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Robert served as a law clerk to the Honorable Robert P. Ruwe on the U.S. Tax Court from 2012 to 2014. Robert is a certified public accountant and has worked in the audit and tax practices of Big Four accounting firms.
- Represented Thoma Bravo in its acquisition of Bomgar Corporation.
- Represented American Industrial Partners in its acquisition of Gerber Technology.
- Represented Surgery Partners, Inc. and its sponsor H.I.G. Capital LLC in Surgery Partners’ initial public offering and subsequent high yield debt offering.
- Advise PIMCO on private fund formation matters.
- Advise a global private equity fund of funds platform on fund investments and co-investments.
- Represented HealthSouth Corporation in its acquisition of CareSouth Health System Inc.
- Represented DAVIDsTEA, Inc. in its initial public offering.
- Represented Optimas OE Solutions and its sponsor American Industrial Partners in its high yield debt offering in connection with the LBO of the Anixter Fasteners business.
- Represented Dunkin’ Brands, Inc. on its $2.6 billion whole-business securitization.
- Robert M. Kane, Jr., “A License to Donate: Patents, Tax Law, and the AIDS Epidemic,” Temple Journal of Science, Technology & Environmental Law (2010)
- Robert M. Kane, Jr., “Public Reporting Requirements of Swap Transactions under the Dodd-Frank Act,” The Philadelphia Business Law Insider (2010)
- Robert M. Kane, Jr., “Preparing for Position Limits for Derivatives,” LexisNexis Corporate & Securities Law Blog (2011)