David joined Ropes & Gray in 2016 as an attorney in the real estate investments & transactions department. David represents and counsels a wide variety of clients including private equity funds, sovereign wealth funds and other institutional investors in all aspects of commercial real estate transactions.
David specializes in the negotiation of joint ventures, acquisitions and dispositions, co-investments, management agreements, complex secured lending transactions, restructurings and negotiations of primary investments in private equity funds. David also assists in the real estate-related aspects of corporate financing, bankruptcy proceedings, mergers and related transactions.
Prior to joining the firm, David was a partner in the real estate practice group at a large firm in New York.
- Represented a global hedge fund in the negotiation a programmatic joint venture and its initial transaction of providing a $187M loan to a US-based real estate private equity fund and national developer in connection with the acquisition and redevelopment of a mixed-use property located in downtown Brooklyn, NY.
- Ongoing representation of Harvard Management Company, the investment adviser for the Harvard University endowment, in the negotiation and structuring of joint ventures for the acquisition and disposition of direct and indirect interests in real estate investments.
- Ongoing representation of an international financial firm in connection with various co-investments with national and international private equity funds to acquire hotel, condominium and office properties around the U.S.
- Represented one of the largest U.S. private equity funds in connection with the acquisition and financing of a multi-property office complex with a combined 1.3m square feet with a purchase price of approximately $195M.
- Represented a global hedge fund in the negotiation a programmatic joint venture and its initial acquisition and financing of a multi-property office complex in a metropolitan area with a purchase price of approximately $60M.
Please note that the following matters were prior to joining Ropes & Gray:
- Represented sovereign wealth fund in a $3.2B acquisition of a portfolio of industrial properties through a combination of asset and stock purchase structured through a three member joint venture.
- Represented sovereign wealth fund in a $1.3B acquisition and lease-back of a trophy-asset in New York City structured through a three member joint venture.
- Represented sovereign wealth fund in a $130M acquisition of a luxury hotel development property in Times Square, associated $190M construction loan and mezzanine loan relating thereto, and recently completed converting such construction financing into permanent financing.
- Represented U.S. investors, non-U.S. investors and institutional investors in over $1B of direct investments (in the aggregate) and $100M of secondary investments (in the aggregate) into U.S. and non-U.S. real estate private equity funds with a core, value-add and/or opportunistic strategies.
- Represented Australian Superannuation Fund in a direct investment in a U.S. infrastructure fund and related co-investments in hydro-electric and power plant facilities.
- Represented U.S. private equity fund in the acquisition of a hotel property on Long Island, NY structured through a two member joint venture. The transaction included negotiating a complex PILOT Agreement and ground lease.
- Represented U.S. private equity fund in bridge financing structured as a preferred equity interest in three-member joint venture to resume development of luxury condominium project in New York City.
- Represented Anglo Irish Bank in the sale of its $9.5 billion portfolio of U.S. commercial real estate loans.
- JD, Brooklyn Law School, 2007; notes and comments editor, Journal of Law and Policy; Moot Court, Appellate Division: Tax Team
- BA (Political Science), cum laude, University of Florida, 2003