A partner in the firm’s real estate and investment transactions group, David provides advice to some of the largest and most sophisticated real estate institutional investors in the world, engaging in complicated transactions in the hundreds of millions to billion dollar range. David is primarily focused on equity-side sponsor and capital partner work, helping clients to put their money to work across the capital stack. He has experience with a broad range of transactions, including joint ventures, purchase and sales, loans, co-investment arrangements, LP fund investments and REIT share sales, among others. This deep and varied experience allows David to offer strategic advice about broader market trends in addition to specific deal guidance.
Based in New York, David works with a wide range of clients, including real estate funds, private equity sponsors, asset managers, life insurance companies and sovereign wealth funds. He is well versed in different types of real estate investments, whether industrial, office or residential, including multi-family, single-family, student and senior housing. He is also attuned to the evolving needs of real estate investors and has spearheaded an Environmental, Social, and Governance (ESG) initiative for real estate clients that are interested in refining their policies, monitoring compliance with disclosure requirements and preparing for SEC exams. In addition, he provides guidance on issues impacting institutional investors in their capacity as owners, tenants and borrowers as a result of the COVID-19 outbreak.
David is actively involved in pro bono efforts, representing Hasty Pudding Institute and Quad Preparatory School on real estate matters.
- Represented a global hedge fund in the negotiation a programmatic joint venture and its initial transaction of providing a $187M loan to a US-based real estate private equity fund and national developer in connection with the acquisition and redevelopment of a mixed-use property located in downtown Brooklyn, NY.
- Ongoing representation of Bain Capital Real Estate in the negotiation of a programmatic joint venture and ongoing representation in acquisitions, development, financings and ground leasing of real estate assets across the United States on the platform.
- Ongoing representation of a public REIT in connection with the acquisition, disposition and management of senior living facilities, skilled nursing facilities, medical office properties and assisted living facilities.
- Represented an international life insurance company in the recapitalization of more than $1 billion of commercial office, retail and multifamily real estate assets located throughout the United States, including negotiation of multiple purchase and sale agreements and joint venture agreements for assets in the portfolio.
- A global investment manager in joint venture investments and joint venture and real estate fund recapitalizations, acquisitions and related financings involving more than $3 billion of senior living, industrial, office, hospitality and multi-family real estate assets located throughout the United States.
- Represented one of the largest U.S. real estate private equity funds in a private REIT share sale of multiple REITs with a purchase price of $950M for over 100 industrial properties consisting of 14M sq/ft.
- Represented public REIT in the acquisition of a portfolio of eight industrial properties from subsidiaries of one of the largest U.S. real estate private equity funds for a purchase price of approximately $280.0 million.
- Ongoing representation of an international financial firm in connection with various co-investments with national and international private equity funds to acquire hotel, condominium and office properties around the U.S.
- A private equity investor in connection with a $500 million mortgage loan to Sears Holding Corporation secured by 24 owned real estate assets located throughout the U.S.
- Ongoing representation of university endowment in connection with direct and indirect investments and co-investments in global real estate private equity funds.
- Represented one of the largest U.S. private equity funds in connection with the acquisition and financing of a multi-property office complex with a combined 1.3m square feet with a purchase price of approximately $195M.
- Represented a global hedge fund in the negotiation a programmatic joint venture and its initial acquisition and financing of a multi-property office complex in a metropolitan area with a purchase price of approximately $60M.
- Representation of The Quad Preparatory School pro bono in the negotiation of a commercial lease of approximately 50,000 square feet in downtown Manhattan for a new Upper School; honoree at the School’s 2019 Founder’s Gala.
- Quoted, “Setting the pace on ESG standards,” PERE (December 2021/January 2022)
- Co-author, “ESG in the Commercial Real Estate Industry: A Primer on Key Drivers and Impacts on Investment,” PREA Quarterly (Fall 2021)
- Moderator, “Beyond Returns: Investor-Driven Climate Change & Social Responsibility Priorities,” 7th Annual Real Estate Private Equity Summit (April 2021)
- JD, Brooklyn Law School, 2007; notes and comments editor, Journal of Law and Policy; Moot Court, Appellate Division: Tax Team
- BA (Political Science), cum laude, University of Florida, 2003
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2008