Jackie Joohee Kahng
Jackie Kahng is a finance partner in the firm’s Hong Kong office.
Jackie focuses her practice on cross-border leveraged finance transactions, including acquisition finance and real estate finance and has extensive deal experience in multiple jurisdictions in the Asia-Pacific region. She regularly advises private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies as well as other corporate borrowers on a wide-range of financing structures, including senior and subordinated credit facilities, asset-based facilities, high-yield bonds and mezzanine financings.
Prior to joining the firm, Jackie worked in New York and Hong Kong for a leading international law firm in banking and credit practices.
- Represented Bain Capital Credit in connection with various financing transactions, including financing related to:
- its minority investment in K-Bank, the first online-only bank in South Korea;
- its investment in Douzone Bizon, a leading ERP software developer in South Korea; and
- US$320 million investment in Schwan’s Company, a frozen food company in the United States.
- Represented Bain Capital in connection with the financing for its acquisition of a controlled stake in Classys, a KOSDAQ-listed medical aesthetic device maker in South Korea.
- Represented Bain Capital in connection with various financing transactions, including the financing for Hugel, a South Korean biopharmaceutical company.
- Represented Nexus Point in connection with the financing for Nexus Point-led consortium’s acquisition of Honour Lane Shipping (HLS), a Hong Kong-based logistics company.
- Represented KKR in connection with the financing related to its acquisition of J.B. Chemicals & Pharmaceuticals in India. Named “Deal of the Year in Asia” in 2020 by Private Equity International.
- Represented KKR in connection with various financing transactions including financing related to:
- its US$2 billion investment in SK E&S, a South Korean energy firm;
- its acquisition of a minority stake in Hyundai Global Service, a marine services firm in South Korea; and
- its acquisition of two medical waste management companies in South Korea.
- its investment in a new joint venture holding company with LS Group in South Korea; and
- its investment, together with IGIS Asset Management and the National Pension Service of Korea, of a mixed-use real estate project in the Gangnam Business District in Seoul, South Korea.
- Represented IGIS Asset Management in connection with the financing related to the acquisition by KKR, together with IGIS Asset Management and SK D&D, of Namsan Square located in the central business district of Seoul, South Korea.
- Represented TPG Capital in connection with various financing transactions, including the financing obtained by its joint venture with China Lodging Group.
Notable transactions in which Jackie has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Represented KKR in connection with the financing of its US$1.4 billion leveraged buyout of Goodpack Limited in Singapore.
- Represented KKR and Affinity Equity Partners in their US$5.8 billion sale of Oriental Brewery in South Korea to Anheuser-Busch InBev.
- Represented KKR in connection with the financing relating to its acquisition of a controlling stake in Alliance Tire Group in India.
- Represented affiliates of an international private equity fund in connection with the financings for numerous investments in commercial, retail and residential real estate in Australia, China, Hong Kong, India, Singapore and South Korea.
- Represented China National Chemical Corporation in connection with the financing of its US$43 billion takeover of Syngenta AG in Switzerland.
- Co-author, Hong Kong chapter for “Acquisition Finance 2019,” Lexology Getting the Deal Through (May 15, 2019)
- JD, University of Michigan Law School, 2007
- BS, summa cum laude, Seoul National University, 2002
Admissions / Qualifications
- Hong Kong, Solicitor, 2015
- New York, 2008
- IFLR1000: Highly Regarded (2023)
- Chambers Asia-Pacific and Greater China: Leading Lawyer in Leveraged & Acquisition Finance (2021-2022)
- IFLR: Asia Future Leaders (2021)
- Chambers Global: Leading Lawyer in Leveraged & Acquisition Finance, China (2021-2022)
- IFLR1000: Rising Star (2021-2022)