Jason E. Kolman
Jason Kolman joined Ropes & Gray in 2006 and is a partner in the asset management group.
Jason focuses his practice on the structuring, formation and ongoing operation of private investment funds, including credit funds, buyout funds, distressed debt funds, real estate funds, funds of funds and hedge funds. Jason also regularly advises institutional investors in negotiating primary and secondary investments in underlying private investment funds. In addition, Jason advises registered investment adviser clients on a range of Advisers Act matters, including the development and implementation of compliance policies.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Jason was a corporate associate at a large New York law firm, where his practice involved private equity fund formation and transactional matters, as well as advising public and private companies on general corporate and securities law issues.
- Provide ongoing private fund, operational and investment adviser regulatory advice to Pacific Investment Management Company LLC.
- Provide ongoing private fund, operational and investment adviser regulatory advice to Centre Lane Partners LLC, including with respect to its acquisition and restructuring of another manager’s legacy private equity fund complex.
- Advise clients on the admission of high net worth individuals in private investment funds, including the negotiation of placement agent agreements, feeder fund agreements and agreements with registered investment adviser intermediaries.
- Negotiate investments in underlying funds by the global fund of funds platform for one of the world’s largest asset managers.
- Advise asset managers on the analysis and management of conflict of interest and material non-public information issues.
- Other representative clients include Hamilton Lane Advisers, LLC; CBRE Global Investors LLC; Kohlberg & Company; Siguler Guff & Company; Commonfund Group; and Willowridge Partners.
- Co-author, “Regulatory Monitor Private Funds Update,” The Investment Lawyer (September 2021)
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 2002
- BA (Classics), magna cum laude, Harvard College, 1998; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2004
- Massachusetts, 2002