Jeffrey R. Katz
Jeff is co-head of the firm’s global capital solutions and private credit practice. Clients rely on Jeff for strategic advice and to pull together teams of lawyers and outside professionals to capitalize on complex opportunities. Clients call on him for general corporate counseling and corporate governance matters. Jeff represents investment funds and operating companies in a wide range of traditional and special situation transactions including dispositions, acquisitions, cross-border investments, and joint ventures. Jeff regularly advises clients in times of crisis and other major events, helping those clients navigate and manage business risk. Jeff has also guided both activist shareholder and public company clients through private and public activist campaigns, including hard-fought proxy contests.
- Represents an institutional investor with respect to management, acquisitions and dispositions of assets in global natural resource portfolio.
- Represents multiple private funds with an aggregate of over 35 billion of assets under management, on the purchase and sale of various private debt, equity and real estate investments, including domestic and cross-border joint ventures often involving complex structures. In addition, Jeff advises on matters relating to the fund’s trading of public debt and equity securities, and bankruptcy and insurance claims.
- Represents multiple family offices with billions of dollars in assets under management, on various investments.
- Co-author, “INSIGHT: So You’ve Got A Shareholder-Nominated Director … Now What? Practical Considerations for General Counsel,” Bloomberg BNA’s Corporate on Bloomberg Law (August 31, 2018)
- Co-author, “Short Activism: The Rise in Anonymous Online Short Attacks,” Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation (November 27, 2017)
- Co-author, "New wave of shareholder activism prompts M&A activity," International Law Office (April 2, 2014)
- Keynote Panel: “We the Shareholders”, 27th Business & Securities Law Conference 2009
- JD, magna cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 2000; Editor, Boston University Law Review
- AB, Columbia College, Columbia University, 1988
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York
- The Best Lawyers (2007-2017, 2022)
- Legal 500 (2015-2016, 2020)