John Kwok is an associate in the securities and public companies practice group in Hong Kong.
John’s practice focuses on equity capital market transactions, initial public offerings in Hong Kong and merger & acquisition transactions. He also provides advice on general securities, corporate and compliance matters to both Hong Kong listed companies and private companies.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, John worked in the Hong Kong office of two other leading international law firms.
- Advised a Hong Kong-based private equity firm specializing in logistics sector in an investment transaction in Asia and assisted in its internal corporate restructuring.
- Advised Huanxi Media Group Limited (HKSE: 1003), a fast growing media company primarily focusing on investing, producing and distributing movies in the Chinese market, in its various strategic cooperation and film production investment agreements with different reputable film directors.
- Advised a Hong Kong-based venture capital investment company specializing in pre-IPO stage investments in its acquisition of a Hong Kong-based e-commerce group.
- Advised Sun Hung Kai Structured Finance Limited in its capacity as a subscriber for the 10% convertible bonds due 2017 in the aggregate principal amount of up to HK$214,072,844 to be issued by Asia Allied Infrastructure Holdings Limited (HKSE: 0711).
- Advised Sun Hung Kai Investment Services Limited, a leading Asian investment management and advisory firm, as financier to the offeror and Sun Hung Kai Structured Finance Limited as class (6) associate in a mandatory unconditional offer for the issued shares and the outstanding convertible bonds of Asia Allied Infrastructure Holdings Limited (HKSE: 0711).
- Advised Sun Hung Kai Investment Services Limited, a leading Asian investment management and advisory firm, as financier to Ally Bridge Group (as a joint offeror with a consortium established by an affiliate of the target company’s controlling shareholder and GL Capital Group) in its proposed HK$2.34 billion (US$300 million) privatisation offer for the H shares of Shandong Luoxin Pharmaceutical Group (HKSE: 8058) by way of a voluntary conditional cash offer.
- Advised a Chinese state-owned enterprise on various corporate matters and compliance issues.
- Advised a Singapore-based leading provider of corporate healthcare solutions across Asia Pacific in its investment in Hong Kong and Greater China.
- Advised Qunar Cayman Islands Ltd. (NASDAQ) in its employee share exchange transaction with Ctrip.com, International Ltd. (NASDAQ).
Transactions completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray:
- Advised Red Star Macalline Group Corporation Ltd. (HKSE: 1528), a leading home improvement and furnishings shopping mall operator in the PRC, in its US$931.1 million initial public offering on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Advised CAR Inc. (HKSE: 0699), the largest car rental company in the PRC, in its US$467.6 million initial public offering on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Advised Christine International Holdings Limited (HKSE: 1210), a leading bakery chain operator in the PRC, in its US$51.6 million initial public offering on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Advised China Polymetallic Mining Limited (HKSE: 2133), a leading non-ferrous metal pure mining company in China, in its US$187 million initial public offering on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Advised Citigroup Global Markets Asia Limited and Bank of China Asia Limited as underwriters in the US$110 million initial public offering of Labixiaoxin Snacks Group Ltd. (HKSE: 1262), a leading snack food provider in China, on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange
- Advised an international airline company based in the U.S. in its subscription of H-shares of an international airline company based in the PRC
- Advised CAR Inc. (HKSE: 0699) in its subscription of Series A Preferred Shares in UCAR, a company primarily engaged in providing chauffeured car services in the PRC through internet and mobile platform
- Advised the placing agents for the top-up placing of 400,000,000 shares in China Resources Land Limited (HKSE: 1109) for a total consideration of approximately US$1.3 billion
- Advised CAR Inc. (HKSE: 0699) in connection with its quarterly, interim and annual reporting, disclosure of interest, onshore and offshore restructuring and other regular compliance obligations