John Kwok is an associate in the securities and public companies practice group in Hong Kong.
John’s practice focuses on equity capital market transactions, initial public offerings in Hong Kong and merger & acquisition transactions. He also provides advice on general securities, corporate and compliance matters to both Hong Kong listed companies and private companies.
John also has experience in advising in growth investments, co-investments, joint ventures, as well as other types of corporate transactions, mergers and acquisitions and pre-IPO investments in China and other Asian jurisdictions.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, John worked in the Hong Kong office of two other leading international law firms.
- Advised New World Strategic Investment in its acquisition of Baby Kingdom, a Hong Kong-based e-commerce company.
- Advised CMB International Capital Corporation Limited, an integrated financial institution and its affiliates in the co-investments and other kinds of equity investments in various companies.
- Advised multiple global private equity firms jointly in their proposed sale of certain securities in China Shengmu Organic Milk Limited (HKSE: 1432) to another PRC-based company listed on the Shanghai Stock Exchange principally engaged in the processing, production and distribution of dairy products and mixed feedstuffs.
- Advised a global private equity firm in its subscription of certain warrants issued by China Shengmu Organic Milk Limited (HKSE: 1432) and other related matters in connection with the subscription.
- Advised Rainbow Concept International Holding Limited, a leading retail luxury apparels and accessories company based in Macau, in its sale of its PRC retail business to a renowned listed company based in Shenzhen, PRC.
- Advised a leading large-scale industrial group specialized in manufacturing building materials and interior decoration products in Mainland China and listed on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange in its proposed formation of joint venture for property development in Myanmar.
- Advised a global private equity firm in the initial public offering on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange of one of its portfolio companies in the biotechnology industry.
- Advised a leading equity investment group in Greater China with a focus on Media, Technology and Consumer sectors in various pre-IPO investments in various companies.
- Advised a healthcare investment firm in its strategic investment and acquisition in Hong Kong and Greater China.
- Advised a Hong Kong-based private equity firm specializing in logistics sector in several investment transactions in Asia and assisted in its internal corporate restructuring.
- Advised Huanxi Media Group Limited (HKSE: 1003), a fast growing media company primarily focusing on investing, producing and distributing movies in the Chinese market, in its various strategic cooperation and film production investment agreements with different reputable film directors.
- Advised Sun Hung Kai Structured Finance Limited in its capacity as a subscriber for the 10% convertible bonds due 2017 in the aggregate principal amount of up to HK$214,072,844 to be issued by Asia Allied Infrastructure Holdings Limited (HKSE: 0711).
- Advised Sun Hung Kai Investment Services Limited, a leading Asian investment management and advisory firm, as financier to the offeror and Sun Hung Kai Structured Finance Limited as class (6) associate in a mandatory unconditional offer for the issued shares and the outstanding convertible bonds of Asia Allied Infrastructure Holdings Limited (HKSE: 0711).
- Advised Sun Hung Kai Investment Services Limited, a leading Asian investment management and advisory firm, as financier to Ally Bridge Group (as a joint offeror with a consortium established by an affiliate of the target company’s controlling shareholder and GL Capital Group) in its proposed HK$2.34 billion (US$300 million) privatisation offer for the H shares of Shandong Luoxin Pharmaceutical Group (HKSE: 8058) by way of a voluntary conditional cash offer.
- Advised a Chinese state-owned enterprise on various corporate matters and compliance issues.
- Advised a Singapore-based leading provider of corporate healthcare solutions across Asia Pacific in its investment in Hong Kong and Greater China.
- Advised Qunar Cayman Islands Ltd. (NASDAQ) in its employee share exchange transaction with Ctrip.com, International Ltd. (NASDAQ).
Transactions completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray:
- Advised Red Star Macalline Group Corporation Ltd. (HKSE: 1528), a leading home improvement and furnishings shopping mall operator in the PRC, in its US$931.1 million initial public offering on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Advised CAR Inc. (HKSE: 0699), the largest car rental company in the PRC, in its US$467.6 million initial public offering on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Advised Christine International Holdings Limited (HKSE: 1210), a leading bakery chain operator in the PRC, in its US$51.6 million initial public offering on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Advised China Polymetallic Mining Limited (HKSE: 2133), a leading non-ferrous metal pure mining company in China, in its US$187 million initial public offering on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Advised Citigroup Global Markets Asia Limited and Bank of China Asia Limited as underwriters in the US$110 million initial public offering of Labixiaoxin Snacks Group Ltd. (HKSE: 1262), a leading snack food provider in China, on the Main Board of the Hong Kong Stock Exchange.
- Advised an international airline company based in the U.S. in its subscription of H-shares of an international airline company based in the PRC.
- Advised CAR Inc. (HKSE: 0699) in its subscription of Series A Preferred Shares in UCAR, a company primarily engaged in providing chauffeured car services in the PRC through internet and mobile platform.
- Advised the placing agents for the top-up placing of 400,000,000 shares in China Resources Land Limited (HKSE: 1109) for a total consideration of approximately US$1.3 billion.
- Advised CAR Inc. (HKSE: 0699) in connection with its quarterly, interim and annual reporting, disclosure of interest, onshore and offshore restructuring and other regular compliance obligations.
- PCLL, University of Hong Kong, 2011; Distinction in the subject of Listed Companies
- Bachelor of Laws, 2:1 Honor, University of Hong Kong, 2010