Paul Y. Kang
Paul Kang joined Ropes & Gray in 2013 as an associate in the real estate investments and transactions group. He has represented institutional real estate investors, domestic and foreign private equity funds, sovereign wealth funds, public and private REITs, endowments, and investment banks in various commercial real estate transactions including acquisitions and dispositions, mortgage and mezzanine financings, loan modifications, repurchase facilities, corporate credit facilities and joint ventures involving a wide range of real estate asset classes including office, retail, multifamily, hotel, student housing, senior living, data center and mixed-use properties as well as commercial real estate debt.
- Represented public and private mortgage REITs in negotiating, closing and restructuring more than $4 billion in master repurchase facilities, note-on-note facilities and secured corporate credit facilities with various major commercial and investment banks to finance transitional commercial real estate loans.
- Represented a public owner/operator of boutique hotels in negotiating and closing a $450 million refinancing of hotels in New York and Miami involving the navigation of complex issues related to ground leases, hotel management agreements, permits, licensing and condominium issues.
- Represented TPG Real Estate in the acquisition of a 75% stake in a $2.5 billion high-yield commercial real estate loan portfolio consisting of 50+ loans from Deutsche Bank AG’s special situations group.
- Represented Korean investor groups in the acquisition of syndicated commercial real estate debt secured by a portfolio of luxury hotels in the U.S.
- Represented a real estate investment and asset management company as part of a joint venture in the acquisition of a 500,000+ sq. ft. single-tenant industrial property including the negotiation and closing of acquisition financing.
- Represented the capital partner of joint ventures for investments in colocation facilities, boutique hotels, student housing, multifamily properties and senior living facilities.
- Represented a private equity company in the acquisition of regional shopping malls.
- Co-author, “U.S. Issues Orders Requiring Identification of All-Cash Buyers of High-End Residential Real Estate,” Ropes & Gray Alert (January 21, 2016)