Leon Kotlyar joined Ropes & Gray in 2015 as an associate in the firm’s litigation department. His practice spans complex commercial disputes, privacy and data security matters, securities litigation, and government and internal investigations. He has litigated in federal and state court, at the trial and appellate levels.
During law school, Leon served as an articles editor of the California Law Review and was a teaching assistant of a legal writing class. He also interned for the Honorable John T. Noonan, Jr. of the United States Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. Prior to law school, Leon taught high school math as a Philadelphia Teaching Fellow and before that worked in the communications department at Google.
- Represents company that operates global restaurant and entertainment brands in S.D. Tex. litigation against the company’s former payment card processor relating to a data security incident.
- Represents one of the largest independent broker-dealers and its senior executives in a class action alleging securities fraud in S.D. Cal.
- Represents consulting firm seeking to enjoin competitor’s enforcement of restrictive employment agreements.
- Represented LabMD in its successful petition to the Eleventh Circuit resulting in the first-ever court decision overturning an FTC cybersecurity action.
- Represented largest creditor in high-profile bankruptcy litigation in Delaware regarding bidder’s rights to a $275 million termination fee for failed takeover of the largest electric utility in Texas.
- Represented Olshan Properties in a dispute with The Limited concerning a right of first offer for a hotel project that would compete with a hotel jointly owned and developed by the parties.
- Represented various financial institutions, including large global banks and investment management firms, in responding to SEC investigations.
- Represented biopharmaceutical company in multi-year joint DOJ and SEC investigation into alleged off-label promotion.
- Conducted internal investigation for global pharmaceutical company in connection with alleged FCPA violations in Russia.
- Assisted trial team in defending the son of former New York State Majority Leader Dean Skelos against public corruption charges in S.D.N.Y.
- Secured grant of asylum for refugee from El Salvador who fled the country after receiving death threats for starting a local political opposition group.
- Co-author, “Supreme Court Confirms Broad Reach of Insider Trading Liability,” American Bar Association Business Law Today (January 19, 2017)
- Co-author, “High Court Seems Disinclined To Disturb Dirks In Salman,” Law360 (October 6, 2016)
- Co-author, “Major Developments Last Year in White Collar Crime,” Corporate Counsel (February 18, 2016)