Lisa Kaltenbrunner is counsel in Ropes & Gray’s antitrust department, based in London. Lisa advises on all aspect of EU and UK competition law, with particular focus advising clients on anti-competitive agreements and information exchange, abuse of dominance cases, as well as on EU and UK merger control.
By way of example, Lisa represented a FTSE 100 company in various high-profile antitrust investigations carried out by the European Commission and the Competition and Markets Authority (the CMA) in the UK.
In her litigious practice, Lisa assisted a pharmaceutical company in its appeal against the CMA’s excessive pricing decision in front of the Competition Appeal Tribunal (the CAT) and also represented a client in its appeal against the CMA’s pay-for-delay infringement decision at the CAT.
In addition, Lisa was seconded to two FTSE 100 companies during her time in private practice, where she gave regular compliance presentations to the business.
Lisa was also seconded to the CMA’s merger’s unit, working on both Phase I and II cases.
- Advised 3i Group plc on its investment in Digital Barriers, a leading provider of IoVT (Internet of Video Things) surveillance and security products
- Advised Pfizer Inc. in its acquisition of Trillium Therapeutics Inc., a clinical stage immuno-oncology company developing innovative therapies for the treatment of cancer, for approximately $2.26 billion
- Advised Pulsant, one of the leading nationwide providers of data centre and cloud infrastructure in the UK, on its sale from Oak Hill Capital and Scottish Equity Partners to Antin Infrastructure Partners
- Advised Blackstone Life Sciences in its combination with gene editing drugmaker Intellia Therapeutics, Inc. and German cell manufacturer Cellex Cell Professionals GmbH to create a new CAR T-cell company to develop cell therapies for cancer and autoimmune diseases
- Advised Inflexion, a UK-headquartered private equity firm, and other shareholders (including the management team) on the sale of Reed & Mackay, a premium corporate travel management and events business, to TripActions, a U.S.-headquartered business travel and spend management platform
- Advised NeoGenomics, Inc., a leading provider of cancer-focused genetic testing services and global oncology contract research services, on its acquisition – including its financing via private placement of equity – of Inivata Ltd, a global, commercial stage liquid biopsy platform company, headquartered in Cambridge, UK
- Advised Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, a U.S. biopharmaceutical company specialised in the development of gene therapies, on its sale to Bayer AG
- Advising Wright Medical Group N.V. on its agreement to be acquired by Stryker Corp. in a transaction with a total enterprise value of approximately $5.4 billion
Notable transactions in which Lisa has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Advised a global investment bank on multiple European Commission Article 101 investigations, including the Commission’s investigation into Credit Default Swaps, LIBOR and EURIBOR interest rate derivatives
- Successfully defended a whistle-blower in its immunity application in front of the European Commission and national competition authorities
- Acted for a global payment service provider in the European Commission’s antitrust investigation in relation to Multilateral Interchange Fees
- Advised a pharmaceutical company on its appeal against the Competition and Market’s excessive pricing decision
- Acted for a pharmaceutical company on its appeal to the Competition Appeal Tribunal in relation to the Competition and Markets Authority’s pay-for-delay decision
- Advised a global network and telecoms supplier on its pricing compliance with Article 102 and distribution contracts
- Advised a leading European payment card operator in its engagement with the UK Payment Service Regulator
- Advised a UK Fintech on competition law compliance during its launch to market
- Acted for two collecting societies on the successful establishment of a market-facing joint venture
- Advised a global corporate client on European merger control aspects in relation to its strategic investment
- Advised a TV advertisement client in relation to a UK merger filing
- Advised a large UK real estate contractor on potential sale of stake to foreign investor
- Quoted, “EC Domestic Raid Signals Shift to Home Inspections Post-Pandemic,” PaRR (April 8, 2022)
- Quoted, “Navigating the shifting sands of competition law at a global firm,” Legal Cheek (October 29, 2021)
- Co-author, “United Kingdom,” GLI – Merger Control 2020 (May 2020)
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- Postgraduate Diploma (Economics for Competition Law), with Merits, King's College London, 2017
- Legal Practice Course, with Distinction, BPP Law School, 2010
- LLB (GDL Conversion), 2:1, BPP Law School, 2009
- Magistra iuris, Vienna Law School, 2007
Admissions / Qualifications
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 2012
- Ireland, Solicitor, 2016