Lisa Kaltenbrunner is counsel in Ropes & Gray’s antitrust department, based in London. Lisa advises on all aspect of EU and UK competition law, with particular focus advising clients on anti-competitive agreements and information exchange, abuse of dominance cases, as well as on EU and UK merger control.
By way of example, Lisa represented a FTSE 100 company in various high-profile antitrust investigations carried out by the European Commission and the Competition and Markets Authority (the CMA) in the UK.
In her litigious practice, Lisa assisted a pharmaceutical company in its appeal against the CMA’s excessive pricing decision in front of the Competition Appeal Tribunal (the CAT) and also represented a client in its appeal against the CMA’s pay-for-delay infringement decision at the CAT.
In addition, Lisa was seconded to two FTSE 100 companies during her time in private practice, where she gave regular compliance presentations to the business.
Lisa was also seconded to the CMA’s merger’s unit, working on both Phase I and II cases.
- Advised Asklepios BioPharmaceutical, a US biopharmaceutical company specialised in the development of gene therapies, on its sale to Bayer AG
- Advising Wright Medical Group N.V. on its agreement to be acquired by Stryker Corp. in a transaction with a total enterprise value of approximately $5.4 billion
Notable transactions in which Lisa has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Advised a global investment bank on multiple European Commission Article 101 investigations, including the Commission’s investigation into Credit Default Swaps, LIBOR and EURIBOR interest rate derivatives
- Successfully defended a whistle-blower in its immunity application in front of the European Commission and national competition authorities
- Acted for a global payment service provider in the European Commission’s antitrust investigation in relation to Multilateral Interchange Fees
- Advised a pharmaceutical company on its appeal against the Competition and Market’s excessive pricing decision
- Acted for a pharmaceutical company on its appeal to the Competition Appeal Tribunal in relation to the Competition and Markets Authority’s pay-for-delay decision
- Advised a global network and telecoms supplier on its pricing compliance with Article 102 and distribution contracts
- Advised a leading European payment card operator in its engagement with the UK Payment Service Regulator
- Advised a UK Fintech on competition law compliance during its launch to market
- Acted for two collecting societies on the successful establishment of a market-facing joint venture
- Advised a global corporate client on European merger control aspects in relation to its strategic investment
- Advised a TV advertisement client in relation to a UK merger filing
- Advised a large UK real estate contractor on potential sale of stake to foreign investor
- Co-author, “United Kingdom,” GLI – Merger Control 2020 (May 2020)
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- Postgraduate Diploma (Economics for Competition Law), with Merits, King's College London, 2017
- Legal Practice Course, with Distinction, BPP Law School, 2010
- LLB (GDL Conversion), 2:1, BPP Law School, 2009
- Magistra iuris, Vienna Law School, 2007
Admissions / Qualifications
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 2012
- Ireland, Solicitor, 2016