Phillip is an associate and litigator in Ropes & Gray’s New York office. Phillip focuses his practice on complex civil litigation, and maintains an active government enforcement and pro bono practice. Phillip has represented clients in state and federal courts and has experience drafting dispositive motions and appellate briefs, assisting in fact and expert discovery, and preparing for oral argument.
During law school, Phillip interned at the Department of Justice in New York, served as a civil procedure TA and Administrative law tutor, competed in the Marden Moot Court Competition, and was an articles editor for The Annual Survey of American Law. Phillip also studied law and economics at the Hoover IP² Summer Institute.
- Advises registrants on responses to SEC voluntary information requests regarding the late 2020 SolarWinds compromise.
- Represents private equity firm in response to third party subpoena.
- Represents class action plaintiffs with state and federal constitutional claims in pro bono challenge to NYC housing program in federal district court and in successful appeal to the Second Circuit.
- Represents plaintiff legal organizations in pro bono APA challenge to immigration disclosure policies in responding to a motion to dismiss and preparing for oral argument.
- Assists in representing defendants in Americans With Disabilities Act (ADA) website accessibility claims, including drafting answers and sanctions motions.
- Advises ERISA plan administrators in responses to Section 104(b)(4) letters and in managing proprietary funds litigation risk.
- Conducts litigation due diligence for various transactions.
- Serves on the Law Firm Antiracism Alliance (LFAA) Committee for Housing and Home Ownership.
- Represents Veteran in pro bono discharge upgrade petition before the Army Board for Correction of Military Records.
- Assisted in representing pharmaceutical manufacturer in federal multidistrict (MDL) and state litigations, including drafting motions to dismiss and in limine and assisting with fact and expert discovery.
- Monitored state public health orders relating to Covid-19.
- Assisted in Asset Management transactions, including reviewing transfer agreements, drafting Investment Company Act opinions, back up certificates, and closing binders.
- JD, New York University School of Law, 2018
- BA, Loyola University Chicago, 2014
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2019