Shrut Kirti joined Ropes & Gray in 2010, and is an associate in the firm’s intellectual property litigation and transactions groups. His work focuses on patent litigation and post-grant proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office (USPTO). He also counsels clients engaged in complex transactions involving technology, intellectual property, and data.
In addition, Shrut is a registered Patent Attorney with over seven years of experience advising clients on various intellectual property issues. He has extensive experience in the management and strategic development of patent portfolios across a broad technical spectrum, including media applications, signal processing, data security, programmable circuit devices, and medical devices. Shrut has prosecuted patent applications in the U.S. and abroad, representing clients in post-grant proceedings before the Patent Trial & Appeal Board (PTAB) of the USPTO, conducting due diligence analyses, and rendering opinions on patent validity, infringement, and freedom-to-operate.
Shrut spent several months on secondment as in-house IP Counsel for a major media applications company and gained valuable insights that help him anticipate and help address the needs of in-house counsel.
Prior to joining Ropes & Gray, Shrut received his Ph.D. in Electrical and Computer Engineering at Cornell University. Shrut’s dissertation proposed physical layer cooperative communication protocols for large-scale sensor networks, as well as the application of consensus algorithms to power networks for monitoring and control. He also developed algorithms for equalization and interference cancellation in MIMO communication systems. He has presented his research in leading technical conferences and peer-reviewed journals.
- Emerson Electric v. SIPCO et al. (ITC) – Representing Emerson Electric in a four-patent lawsuit relating to wireless mesh network technology.
- Godo Kaisha IP Bridge 1 v. Qualcomm (D. Del.) – Represented IP Bridge in an eight-patent suit involving semiconductor technology.
- GN Hearing A/S v. Oticon A/S (PTAB) – Represented GN Hearing in two IPR proceedings directed to hearing aid technology.
- Counseled Roku regarding litigation strategy with respect to licensing demands from non-practicing entities.
- Rovi v. Comcast et. al (PTAB) – Represented Rovi in ten IPR proceedings involving interactive program guides and related hardware and software.
Intellectual Property Transactions
- Counseled J.W. Childs Associates, LP in its acquisition of Walker Edison, a leading supplier of affordable home furnishings to global e-commerce platforms, on intellectual property matters.
- Counseled H.I.G. Capital in the sale of its portfolio company AMPAC Fine Chemicals, a global supplier of high value-added active pharmaceutical ingredients, on intellectual property matters.
- Counseled CCMP Capital Advisors, LP in its acquisition of Eating Recovery Center, a leading provider of specialized treatment for individuals with eating disorders.
- Spent six months on secondment as in-house IP Counsel to a major media applications company devising patent licensing strategies.
- S. Kirti, et al., ”Cooperative Broadcast in Dense Networks with Multiple Sources,” Proc. 10th IEEE Intl. Workshop on Signal Processing Advances for Wireless Communications (SPAWC), Perugia, Italy, (June 21-24, 2009)
- S. Kirti, et al., ”On the Problem of Adding Infinitely Many Values,” Proc. 10th IEEE Int. Symp. on Spread Spectrum Techniques and Applications (ISSSTA), Bolgna, Italy, (August 25-28, 2008)
- S. Kirti, et al., ”Scalable Distributed Kalman Filtering Through Consensus,” Proc. 33rd Int. Conf. on Acoustics, Speech, and Signal Processing (ICASSP), Las Vegas, NV, USA, (March 30-April 4, 2008)
- S. Kirti, et al., ”A Scalable Wireless Communication Architecture for Average Consensus,” Invited Paper, Proc. 46th IEEE Conf. on Decision and Control (CDC), New Orleans, LA, USA, (December 12-14, 2007)
- S. Kirti, et al., ”On the Communication Architecture for the Control Problem in Power Networks,” Proc. of Hawaii Int. Conf. on System Sciences (HICSS-40), (January 3-6, 2007), Hawaii.
- A. Scaglione, S. Kirti, B. Sirkeci, ”Error Propagation in Dense Wireless Networks with Cooperation,” Proc. International Symposium on Information Processing in Sensor Networks (IPSN ’06), Nashville, TN, (April 19-21, 2006)
- S. Kirti, et al., ”Implementation of the Physical Layer for a MIMO-OFDM Ad Hoc Network,” Proc. IEEE Sarnoff Symposium, Student Section, Princeton, NJ, (April 18-19, 2005)