Steven M. Kaye
Steve Kaye is counsel in Ropes & Gray’s liability risk management group, which is a leading global practice at structuring customized, complex insurance solutions. Steve advises private and public companies and investment management firms (including private equity, hedge and venture capital funds) on matters involving indemnification and insurance. He concentrates his practice on mergers and acquisitions and investments, advising clients on purchasing and negotiating transactional risk insurance policies (including representations and warranties, litigation buy-out and tax liability policies). His work also consists of drafting and negotiating state-of-the-art liability insurance coverage (including director and officer policies and general partnership liability policies). He also counsels clients on litigation exposure and risk management issues under liability insurance policies.
Steve draws on his past experience as a litigator on behalf of insurance carriers with regard to complex coverage claims. His experience working with insurance companies informs his negotiation and drafting of insurance policies as well as advocating for clients during the insurance claims process.
- Co-author, “Adapting RWI to Secondary Transactions: Mechanics of the Insurance Policies and Obstacles Posed by Secondaries (Part One of Two),” Private Equity Law Report (April 13, 2021)
- Co-author, “Uncharted Waters: Coverage Litigation After SuperStorm Sandy,” The New York State Bar Association Seminar: Advanced Insurance Coverage: Hot Topics, Touch Issues and a Look Ahead (May 2013)
- JD, cum laude, Brooklyn Law School, 2009
- BA (Political Science), cum laude, College of the Holy Cross, 2006
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2017
- New York, 2010
- U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of New York
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers Rising Star (2016-2020)