Anna is a partner in the asset management group. The focus of Anna’s practice is derivatives. She has over 15 years of experience in this area, advising on derivatives in all the major asset classes, whether OTC or on-exchange, and any associated ISDA, collateral, brokerage, clearing and custody arrangements.
Anna’s transactional work includes advising on hedging arrangements, synthetic investments and financings in the context of a broad range of banking and corporate transactions, often cross-border in nature. She is frequently engaged in helping clients to navigate the custody and insolvency risk inherent in their transactions and structures. An important part of Anna’s practice is advising on regulatory regimes affecting derivatives, securities transactions and structured products. Her clients include hedge and PE funds, asset managers, financial institutions and corporates.
Anna is an active participant in industry-association committees and working groups, and appointed outside counsel to a major asset management trade association’s European derivatives committee. She is ranked as “highly regarded” for derivatives in the IFLR1000.
- Assisting an investment management firm in establishing European cash and securities financing arrangements associated with U.S. prime brokerage accounts for its alternative investment funds
- Advising a corporate group on equity derivatives-financing transactions and margin loans, together with the associated stock lending, collateral and custody arrangements
- Advising a financial institution on establishing an • agency stock lending programme, offered to clients holding their investments with the financial institution
- Advising a private investment firm on the investment by one of its private equity funds, through a series of total return swaps, in a listed company in an emerging market jurisdiction
- Advising U.S. collateral managers on risk retention funds, and their CLO products offered to EU investors intended to be compliant with the EU risk retention regime
- Advising numerous asset managers on their derivatives and securities financing matters, and in each case the attendant regulation (typically cross-border in nature) affecting the manager and its funds and segregated accounts
- Advising alternative investment managers on the use of derivatives (whether exchange-traded, cleared or OTC) by UCITS funds under EU legislation, including collateral holding structures that mitigate counterparty exposure in accordance with the UCITS regulations
- Quoted, “Smooth start for MiFID II,” International Financing Review (January 6, 2018)
- Quoted, “Swaps margin relief raises questions,” International Financing Review (March 3, 2017)
- Quoted, “A Fund Manager’s Guide to Calculating and Reporting Short Sales Under European Regulations,” The Hedge Fund Law Report (January 5, 2017)
- Quoted, “How Fund Managers Can Navigate and Avoid the Pitfalls of European Short Sale Reporting Obligations,”The Hedge Fund Law Report (December 1, 2016)
- Quoted, “Fed proposes swap stay rules,” International Financing Review (May 21-27, 2016)
- Leigh Fraser, Anna Lawry, Molly Moore and Stephen Adams, “New ISDA Protocol Limits Buy-Side Remedies in Financial Institution Failure,” The Harvard Law School Forum on Corporate Governance and Financial Regulation (December 14, 2014)
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 52100).
- Legal Practice Course, Distinction, College of Law, York, 1995
- Common Professional Examination, Commendation, College of Law, York, 1994
- BA (Oriental Studies, Japanese), Honours, First Class Degree, Pembroke College, Oxford University, 1993