Benoit Lavigne is a member of the finance group of Ropes & Gray’s London office. He joined in September 2013. Prior to joining, Benoit worked at two other international U.S. firms in London.
Benoit Lavigne advises both underwriters and issuers/borrowers and has vast experience in various complex finance matters including acquisition finance, general corporate lending, asset-based lending, restructurings and workouts. He has extensive experience advising on complex finance matters that are cross-border in nature.
- Advising JPMorgan with respect to various derivative loan facilities, including refinancings thereof.
- Advising Macquarie Capital in connection with certain facilities made available for the purposes of Liberty Hall Capital Partners’ USD 135 million acquisition of Dunlop Aircraft Tyres Ltd.
- Advising Macquarie Capital in connection with the financing of a sale and leaseback transaction for the purposes of a liability management exercise undertaken by a London based private equity sponsor.
- Advising Macquarie Capital in connection with 1.5x lien incremental facilities to be made available under a NY law ABL revolving facility for refinancing purposes.
- Advising Macquarie Capital in connection with the provision of equity bridge financing for a European sponsor’s acquisition of a European target.
- Acting for Altice NV on its cross-border equity and debt financing for the acquisition of Cablevision, the leading cable system operator in the New York metropolitan area. The $10.6 billion debt financing package included a $3.8 billion covenant lite term loan, $2 billion revolving facility and three tranches of high yield notes: the offering of US$1.8 billion 101/8% Senior Notes due 2023, US$2 billion 107/8% Senior Notes due 2025 and US$1 billion 65/8% Senior Guaranteed Notes due 2025 and Altice NV also raised €1.6 billion via an equity placement through the accelerated book build method
- Acting for Altice Financing S.A. in connection with the offering of US$2.75 billion 7½% Senior Secured Notes due 2026 to refinance certain existing Senior Secured Notes and Term Loan Facilities
- Acting for Numericable-SFR in relation to its US$5.1 billion high yield bond offering and refinancing of existing debt
- Acting for Altice S.A. on the financing for the acquisition by Altice of Suddenlink, the seventh largest cable system operator in the United States
- Acting for Altice S.A. on the financing for the acquisition by Altice of PT Portugal SGPS, S.A. and certain other entities that make up the Portugal Telecom Group, a leading provider of integrated telecommunication services to residential and corporate customers in Portugal from Oi S.A.
- Acting for Deutsche Bank and Nordea in connection with the €1.45 billion financing of Nordic Capital’s acquisition of a majority stake in Norway-based Lindorff, one of Europe’s leading providers of debt related administrative services
- Acting for Altice and Numericable Group in their jumbo US$21.9 billion cross-border bank and bond financing for the acquisition of French telecoms operator SFR
- Acting for, among others, Morgan Stanley, Crédit Agricole, Credit Suisse, Deutsche Bank and ING Bank N.V. on a $1.0 billion covenant lite term loan, a €250 million senior notes issuance and €125 million in other bank financing in connection with the acquisition by Altice VII S.à r.l. of Groupe Outremer Telecom S.A. and Oni SGPS S.A. and the fold-in of certain businesses owned by Altice VII S.à r.l. into an existing restricted financing group
- Acting for, among others, Morgan Stanley, BNP Paribas, Crédit Agricole, Credit Suisse, ING and JP Morgan on the US$1.1 billion financing raised by Altice VII S.à r.L. in connection with the take-private and refinancing of HOT-Telecommunications Systems Ltd., an Israeli telecommunications company
- Acting for Thomas Cook Group PLC on its £1.6 billion refinancing. Primary role involved advising Thomas Cook as lead counsel on both the €525 million underwritten bridge loan and high yield bond placement of the same size, and collaborating with another law firm on the accompanying £425 million equity rights issue and £691 million bank re-financing
- Acting for Anchorage Capital in connection with the restructuring and loan to own by Triton of the Stabilus group and the subsequent refinancing of the group’s facilities
- Acting for Qatar Holding in connection with its £1.5 billion acquisition of Harrods
- Representing Deutsche Bank, The Royal Bank of Scotland and others as global coordinators, bookrunning managers and initial purchasers in connection with the refinancing of existing facilities made available to the Viridian group. The transaction involved a restructuring of a junior debt piece together with the refinancing of existing senior facilities in excess of €1 billion
- Acting for Credit Suisse as sole arranger, bookrunner, agent and security agent in connection with the £150 million refinancing for The O2 Arena
- Acting for a subsidiary of the investment arm of a sovereign entity in connection with a US$5 billion revolving margin facility
- Acting for the steering committee of mezzanine lenders in connection with the restructuring of the circa€1 billion debt facilities of the Orion Cable GmbH group of companies
- Acting for JP Morgan, as global coordinator, on a transaction involving the reorganisation of the corporate structure of a French borrower and its subsidiaries. The financing involved a €900 million bridge to securitisation take-out borrowing base facility, a €350 million senior term and revolving credit facility and a €200,000,000 bond.
- Acting for the mandated lead arrangers on a €1.4 billion corporate acquisition financing in the context of a takeover defence mechanism