Irene Lau is an associate in the securities and public companies practice group in Hong Kong.
Irene’s practice focuses on providing corporate finance advice to investment banks, sponsors and companies seeking to list on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange, as well as providing advice on general securities, corporate and compliance matters to both Hong Kong-listed companies and private companies.
Prior to joining the Ropes & Gray, Irene worked in the London and Hong Kong offices of other leading international law firms.
- Advised New World Strategic Investment in its acquisition of Baby Kingdom, a Hong Kong-based e-commerce company.
- Advised a healthcare investment firm in its strategic investment and acquisition in Hong Kong and Greater China.
- Advised China Huarong in its equity investment in a company to fund its acquisition of a luxury UK apparel manufacturer from a Hong Kong-listed company.
- Advised a consortium comprising leading international bank and private equity fund in their Series A equity investment in an investment management company.
- Advised Rainbow Concept International Holding Limited, a leading retail luxury apparels and accessories company based in Macau, in its sale of its PRC retail business to a renowned listed company based in Shenzhen, PRC.
- Advised Kaisa Group, a Hong Kong-listed real estate company operating in China, on the Hong Kong regulatory compliance matters relating to the restructuring of its offshore liabilities.
- Advised a Singapore-based private equity fund specializing in the healthcare industry in its investments in Hong Kong and Greater China.
- Advised Sequoia Capital as an offeror in a mandatory general offer of Dongpeng Holdings Company Limited (3386.HK) and the privatization thereof.
- Advised a Chinese state-owned enterprise on various corporate commercial and compliance matters.
- Advised Salamanca, a UK-based investment fund, in the sale of its shareholding in China Polymetallic Mining Limited (2133.HK) to CITIC Dameng Holdings Limited for consideration shares in CITIC Dameng.
Transactions completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray:
- Advised China Harmony Auto Holding Limited on the US$76 million placement of its ordinary shares to Hong Hai / Foxconn Technology Group
- Advised Hop Hing Group Holdings Limited on the disposition of its edible oils business to its controlling shareholders which constitutes a major disposal under the Rules Governing the Listing of Securities on The Stock Exchange of Hong Kong Limited
- Advised Hop Hing Group Holdings Limited on the very substantial acquisition of the Yoshinoya and Dairy Queen franchised businesses in northern China and the issue of convertible securities to finance the acquisition
- Advised Sun Hung Kai Properties, China Harmony Auto Holding Limited and China Huirong Financial Holdings Limited on various corporate commercial and compliance matters
- PCLL, Pass, University of Hong Kong, 2008
- BA (Honours) (Law), Second Class, University of Cambridge, United Kingdom, 2007
- BBA (GBUS & ACCT), First Class, Hong Kong University of Science & Technology, 2005