Jaewoo Lee is a partner in the private equity and M&A departments of Ropes & Gray. Registered in Korea as a “foreign legal consultant,” Jaewoo concentrates his practice on cross-border corporate transactions, with a particular focus on PE transactions and mergers and acquisitions involving Korea. He has significant experience in private and public M&A deals in Asia, the U.S. and other markets as well as in global offerings of equity and debt securities.
- Advised TPG Capital on its US$400+ million investment in Kakao Corporation’s transport / taxi app business, Kakao Mobility.
- Advised Bain Capital in multiple notable deals, including the Bain consortium’s acquisition and recently announced US$2.6 billion sale of Carver Korea Co., Ltd., and its US$800+ million acquisition of a controlling stake in Hugel Inc., a South Korean biopharmaceutical company.
- Advised Johnson Electric in its US$84 million acquisition of a controlling equity stake in Halla Stackpole, a Korean auto parts manufacturer.
- Advised Netmarble Games Corporation in its US$ multi-million acquisition of a 100% stake of the Vancouver Studio business of Kabam Inc., a mobile game company headquartered in San Francisco. This is the largest outbound M&A deal to date in South Korea’s mobile game industry and one of the most significant software tech M&A deals for Korea.
- Advised LS-Nikko Copper Inc. in its US$635 million sale of a minority equity stake in Minera Panama S.A. and US$ multi-million exit from a South American mining industry investment.
- Advised Naver Corporation in multiple cross-border JV transactions, including in its proposed establishment of joint ventures in China for various app services.
- Advised LINE Plus Corporation in various cross-border JV transactions, including the establishment of a US$ multi-million cross-border game development joint venture in Hong Kong with a leading Chinese game developer.
- Advised the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (“CPPIB”) in its acquisition of an approximately 20% stake in Homeplus, Tesco’s South Korean business, for US$534 million as part of the consortium led by MBK Partners. Named Deal of the Year in 2015/2016 by multiple publications including the Asian Lawyer, The American Lawyer, Asian-Mena Counsel and Asian Legal Business.
- Advised Korea Investment Corporation, Korea’s sovereign wealth fund, in various equity investments worldwide.
- Quoted, “Korean Economics, M&A, and PE Exits: Seller Central” Asian Venture Capital Journal (August 23, 2016)
- Quoted, “Korean outbound M&A: Satisfied partners?” Asian Venture Capital Journal (September 3, 2014)