Michael Lee is co-head of the firm’s global finance practice group. He has extensive experience representing private equity sponsors and their portfolio companies in a wide range of large-cap and middle-market financing transactions, including high-yield bond issuances, bridge facilities, syndicated credit facilities, ABL facilities, and second lien and mezzanine financings. Michael also regularly advises public companies and institutional investors in financing transactions.
- Represented Tecomet, Inc., together with certain of its affiliates, in the refinancing of its approximately $1 billion capital structure, including through the provision of a new revolving credit facility and privately placed first-lien term loan. Tecomet is a global leader in the design, development, and manufacture of orthopedic, robotic assisted, and minimally invasive surgical products, as well as precision components for the aerospace and defense industry.
- Represented Charlesbank Capital Partners and its portfolio company Bridgepointe Technologies in connection with financing for Bridgepointe's add-on acquisition of PPT Solutions, a provider of management consulting, managed services and cloud solution services.
- Represented a consortium led by Silversmith Capital Partners and Health Velocity Capital in connection with a majority investment in Fortified Health Security, a managed security services provider to the health care industry.
- Represented Charlesbank Capital Partners in connection with financing for its acquisition of Accordion Partners, a financial and technology consulting firm.
- Represented Genstar Capital and its portfolio company Advarra in connection with the sale of a majority stake in Advarra to Blackstone and the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (CPPIB).
- Represented Golden Gate Capital in connection with financing for its acquisition of a 51 percent interest in Ensemble Health Partners, an industry-leading revenue cycle management provider.
- Represented Audax Group in its recapitalization of 48forty Solutions, a provider of pallet management services.
- Represented Audax Group and its portfolio company Emplifi in the sale of a stake in Emplifi, a cloud-based customer experience platform provider, to Sixth Street Growth.
- Represented Genstar Capital in connection with obtaining debt financing for its investment in Lightspeed Systems, a provider of network security and management software solutions for the education market.
- Represented Genstar Capital and its portfolio company Association Member Benefits Advisors, a marketing insurance agency, in connection with obtaining debt financing for its carve-out acquisition of Mercer Affinity.
- Represented TPG Capital and Leonard Green & Partners in the sale of Petco to CVC Capital Partners and Canada Pension Plan Investment Board for approximately $4.6 billion.
- Represented TPG Capital in structuring and obtaining $905 million of aggregate debt financing for its acquisition of a majority stake in Cirque du Soleil.
- Represented Genstar Capital in its acquisition of Telestream, a world-class provider of live and on-demand digital video tools and workflow solutions.
- Represented Genstar Capital in its acquisition and subsequent sale of Insurity, Inc. (formerly the LexisNexis Risk Solutions insurance software division).
- Represented Audax Group in multiple acquisitions, including a national dental practice management company and a major building materials and construction solutions provider.
- Represented TPG Capital in structuring and obtaining $575 million of aggregate debt financing for its acquisition of the information products business of MacDonald, Dettwiler and Associates Ltd.
- Represented Liberty Dialysis in structuring and obtaining over $600 million of aggregate debt financing for the acquisition of Renal Advantage.
- Advised Bain Capital in structuring and obtaining $1.445 billion of aggregate financing for its acquisition of The Gymboree Corporation, a leading children’s clothing retailer.
- Represented Covidien in connection with a $1.25 billion bridge financing commitment and $1.5 billion in bond offerings to finance the acquisition of Ev3, Inc., a leading medical device developer.
- Represented TPG Capital in structuring and obtaining $3.275 billion of aggregate debt financing for the acquisition of IMS Health Inc., a leading provider of intelligence to the pharmaceutical and healthcare industries, in the largest leveraged buyout signed in 2009.
- Represented Avaya in structuring and obtaining $1.0 billion of aggregate senior secured financing commitments for the acquisition of Nortel Enterprise Solutions.
- Represented Bain Capital and Thomas H. Lee Partners in connection with bond offerings totaling approximately $2.3 billion to finance the acquisition of Clear Channel Communications, Inc.
- Represented Genstar Capital in its acquisition of Acrisure, LLC, a Michigan-based retail insurance brokerage firm. Acrisure is one of the leading privately owned insurance agencies in the Midwest.
- Co-author, “In Search of Financing: Sponsors Willing to Seek Debt,” Mondaq (November 23, 2022)
- JD, cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1999
- AB (East Asian Languages and Civilizations), summa cum laude, Columbia University, 1996
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2000
- Boston Magazine “Top Lawyers” (2021-2022)
- IFLR 1000 (2022-2024)
- Best Lawyers in America (2016-2024)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2013-2023)
- Legal 500, Finance (2011, 2015-2019, 2022-2023)