Michael R. Littenberg
Michael R. Littenberg has more than 30 years of experience representing U.S. and foreign public and private companies, investment banks, private equity funds and other managers in transactional matters, including securities offerings and mergers and acquisitions, and ongoing compliance. His clients range from large well-known institutions to growing companies across every major industry.
Michael’s transactional capital markets experience covers a wide range of products, including equity and equity-linked securities, investment grade and non-investment grade debt, and SPACs, BDCs and other permanent capital vehicles, through SEC registered, Regulation D, Rule 144A and Regulation S offerings (including registered direct offerings and PIPEs).
Michael’s M&A experience includes representing strategic and financial buyers and sellers, special committees and financial advisors in connection with U.S. and cross-border transactions involving public and private companies.
A significant part of Michael’s practice involves counselling U.S. public companies and foreign private issuers and their boards, board committees, special committees, executive officers and investors in connection with ongoing compliance under the U.S. securities laws, exchange requirements and governance matters.
Michael also advises a significant number of leading companies and managers on ESG, corporate social responsibility, business and human rights and supply chain compliance matters, and is widely viewed as one of the leading practitioners globally in this rapidly evolving area. See here for Michael’s separate bio relating to this portion of his practice.
Michael is a frequent speaker at conferences and seminars, has authored numerous articles, and is frequently quoted as an expert in the business and specialty press, on topics pertaining to his areas of focus. He has been included in numerous rankings and ratings, including Chambers Global, Legal 500, New York Super Lawyers and the New York Super Lawyers New York metro area top 100 list and Who’s Who in Securities Law.
- Cited, “We put these ESG lawyers to the test,” Reuters (July 26, 2021)
- Quoted, “More companies are citing water scarcity as a financial risk in regulatory filings,” CBS News.com and CBS Moneywatch (July 22, 2021)
- Quoted, “Focus on human rights a challenge in China,” Pensions & Investments (April 19, 2021)
- Co-author, “U.S. State Department Issues Human Rights Compliance Guidance for Products and Services With Surveillance Capabilities,” The Journal of Robotics, Artificial Intelligence & Law (March 2021)
- Co-author, “Fashion Industry Guide for Capital Markets,” Lexis Practice Advisor (June 12, 2020)
- Quoted, “Four Unfinished Dodd-Frank Rules to Watch at SEC in 2020,” Bloomberg Law (December 27, 2019)
- Quoted, “Kang’s Take: The Road Less Traveled to Initial Public Offerings,” WSJ Pro Private Equity (March 6, 2018)
- Co-author, “Fashion Industry Practice Guide,” Lexis Practice Advisor (November 2017)
- “Regulation Fair Disclosure,” Insider Trading Law and Compliance Answer Book (Practising Law Institute) (2011-2016)*
- “SEC Proposes Pay Ratio Disclosure Rule,” (October 11, 2013)*
- “General Solicitation and General Advertising to be Permitted in Private Placements Starting September 23,” (August 13, 2013)*
- “SEC Adopts Compensation Committee and Adviser Independence Rules,” (June 28, 2012)*
- “An Overview of the US Jobs Act for OTCQX International Issuers,” (May 11, 2012)*
*Prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- “Global Spotlight: Trends in International Food Law and Supply Chain Policy,” FoodBev Exchange (October 2020)
- “Regulatory Developments: SEC, PCAOB and the Tax Cuts and JOBS Act,” The Society for Corporate Governance, New York Chapter (February 2018)
- “Hot Topics in Disclosure and Capital Raising,” NYSSCPA SEC Conference (October 2016)
- “Best Practices to Prevent, Detect and Investigate Third Party Risk,” Thomson Reuters Financial & Risk Summit Panel Session (May 2016)
- “Building a Comprehensive Third-Party Risk Management Program,” (October 2015)*
- NYSSCPA Public Company Accounting and Auditing Conference (October 2014)*
- NTMA 2014 Fall Conference (October 2014)*
- SABR 2nd Institutional Investor Best Ideas Conference (October 2014)*
- “The JOBS Act Roll-Out Continues: Capitalizing on Crowdfunding and Reg A+” and “The SEC’s Proposed Pay Ratio Disclosure Rule,” (January 2014)*
*Prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- JD, magna cum laude, Tulane University Law School, 1990; associate editor, Tulane Law Review; Order of the Coif
- BS, Indiana University, 1987
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 1991
- Chambers Global (2018-2021)
- Legal 500 (2017)
- New York Super Lawyers (2009-2020)
- New York Super Lawyers Top 100 List (2012-2018)