Owen C. LaFreniere
Owen LaFreniere joined Ropes & Gray in 2014 and is counsel practicing in the real estate investments & transactions group. Owen represents hedge funds, private equity clients, public and private REITs and other financial institutions and developers in a wide variety of commercial real estate matters including acquisitions and dispositions, co-investments, financings, repurchase facilities and the formation and structuring of joint ventures for real estate investments. He also has experience in the areas of loan and equity investment restructuring, structured finance, commercial leasing and sale-leasebacks. A significant portion of Owen’s practice involves handling the commercial real estate aspects of corporate transactions, including private equity mergers & acquisitions, corporate dispositions, and leveraged buyouts.
Owen has experience both domestically and abroad and has represented clients in transactions in Asia, Australia, Europe and throughout the United States.
- Represents a leading financial services company in the negotiating and structuring of complex real estate co-investments, fund investments and club joint ventures.
- Represents Bain Capital Real Estate in evaluating, negotiating and structuring real estate investments directly as well as through joint ventures, funds, co-investments and management arrangements with international, national, regional and local sponsors, operators and managers.
- Representation of Golden Gate Capital in its acquisition of Bob Evans Restaurants, the operator of family restaurants in 18 states across the Midwest, mid-Atlantic and Southeast regions of the United States.
- Represents public and private REITs, as well as private equity credit funds in negotiating master repurchase facilities, note-on-note facilities and secured warehouse facilities across from multiple major commercial and investment banks to finance commercial real estate loans, as well as in the individual financing of loans under such facilities.
- Representation of IASIS Healthcare Corporation, a healthcare services company operating 18 owned and leased hospital facilities, in its sale to Steward Health Care, creating the largest private for-profit hospital operator in the United States.
- Ongoing representation of an international financial firm in connection with various co-investments with national and international private equity funds to acquire hotel, condominium and office properties around the U.S.
- Representation of TPG Real Estate, the real estate platform of TPG, in its purchase of a 75 percent stake in a $2.5 billion portfolio of high-yield commercial real estate loans from Deutsche Bank’s special situations group.
- Representation of Reebok International in the sale of its Rockport division to Berkshire Capital and New Balance for $280 million, including the transfer of over 250 retail real estate locations worldwide.
- Representation of Duwaliya US Real Estate Inc., the U.S. real estate affiliate of the Qatari ruling Al Thani family interests, in its acquisition of office property in Washington, DC for $108 million, its first investment in U.S. real estate.
- Representation of one of the largest private equity firms in the negotiation of joint ventures with operating partners and co-investors for the acquisition of real estate.
- Co-author, “Commercial Real Estate in United States: Overview,” Practical Law’s Multi-Jurisdictional Guide 2014/15 (November 2014)
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2002
- BA, Harvard College, 1999
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2003