Peter Laybourn is a partner in the asset management group and serves as co-leader of the firm’s buyout and growth equity funds team. Resident in the firm’s Boston office since 2004, Peter advises on a wide range of matters encountered by private investment funds and other institutional investors in their internal matters, when raising capital and when making investments.
Having extensive experience in the formation of private equity funds, funds of funds, credit funds, venture capital funds and hedge funds for both emerging and well-established firms, Peter brings deep insight to the fundraising process. Peter also assists private investment funds organize their internal firm structures and governance matters. Moreover, he regularly works with private investment funds as well as other institutional clients in the negotiation and execution of domestic and international transactions, “spinoffs” of investment professionals from large financial institutions, and general corporate and securities matters.
- Represented credit fund manager with approximately $11 billion in AUM in organizing several separately managed accounts totaling over $1.25 billion, as well as general compliance and internal matters.
- Represented a publicly traded institutional investor in the formation of multiple credit funds.
- Represented a private equity sponsor in its domestic and international offering of a multi-billion dollar leveraged buy-out private equity fund.
- Represented a large New York-based investment bank in its domestic and international offering of several multi-billion dollar funds of funds.
- Represented a mid-market private equity sponsor in its domestic and international offering of a $600 million health care focused leveraged buy-out fund.
- Represented a large alternative asset management firm in implementing arrangements for internal carry allocation mechanics and co-investment arrangements.
- Represented a large New York-based financial institution in the launch of a credit fund platform, spanning both junior and senior lending products.
- Represented a large New York-based financial institution in its domestic and international offering of a $1.5 billion co-investment fund.
- Represented a private equity sponsor with a fund restructuring in a stapled secondary transaction.
- Represented a private investment fund sponsor with an extensive internal reorganization of its firm and business relationships.
- Represented a private equity platform with its spinoff from a larger financial institution.
- Represented both retiring founders and successors in several succession arrangements.
- Represented an institutional investor in connection with several multi-national investment joint ventures.
- Represented a new venture capital firm in raising its first venture capital fund and its first investment.
- Represented an asset management firm in multiple domestic and international offerings of collateralized loan obligation funds totaling several billion dollars.
- Quoted, “SEC Push to Boost Alts Access May Spark 401(k) Reforms,” FundFire (August 7, 2019)
- Quoted, “US small cap buyout funds outperform mega vehicles, study finds,” S&P Global Market Intelligence (June 24, 2019)
- Quoted, “The changing face of the LPA,” Private Equity International (May 2019)
- Quoted, “The Secrets to Succession Planning,” Private Equity International (November 29, 2017)
- Quoted, “Shouldering the burden of legal fees,” Private Funds Management (October 3, 2016)
- Quoted, House votes to expand ‘accredited investor’ definition,” Private Equity International / Private Funds Management (February 4, 2016)
- Speaker, “Key Trends in Private Equity,” International Bar Association’s 20th Annual International Conference on Private Investment Funds (March 2019)
- Speaker, "Fund Formation Legal Update," Fund Finance Summer Update (September 7, 2017)
- Speaker, “International Offerings of U.S. Private Investment Funds,” Luxembourg Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (June 8, 2017)
- Speaker, “Waterfall Discussion: Variations in Structuring Carried Interest Waterfall Models,” Wells Fargo Global Fund Services and RSM US LLP Private Equity Asset Manager Summit (May 18, 2016)
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 52100).
- JD, Duke University School of Law, 2004
- Visiting Student, Harvard Law School, 2004
- LLM, University of Copenhagen Faculty of Law - Denmark, 2002
- BA Juris (LLB equivalent), University of Copenhagen Faculty of Law - Denmark, 2000