Robert Lister joined Ropes & Gray in October 2015 as an associate in the firm’s intellectual property transactions group. Prior to joining the firm, Robert was an associate in the intellectual property and corporate teams of the London office of a large international law firm.
Robert has a wide range of experience advising UK and international clients in respect of intellectual property and commercial law, with a particular emphasis on media, e-commerce, outsourcing, sponsorship, IT and marketing issues. In addition to advising on intellectual property, IT and data protection issues arising in corporate transactions, he also has particular experience assisting with global data protection and privacy issues, including advising on international data transfers and compliance with the EU data protection regime.
- Acting for Pulsant on its acquisition of LayerV, a specialist public cloud solution integration company
Notable matters in which Robert has been involved prior to joining the firm include:
- Undertaking due diligence relating to international corporate transactions
- Advising on the labelling and packaging of food stuffs and alcoholic drinks
- Assisting with drafting and negotiating sponsorship agreements with various top-level professional sports teams
- Advising on issues relating to the processing of health data derived from clinical trials and mobile apps
- Drafting and advising on IP licensing agreements and assignments
- Negotiating and advising on trade mark prosecution issues and drafting clearance reports
- Managing a global trade mark licence recordal project
- Author, “COVID-19 Lockdown - Employee Monitoring Article,” Legislation and Regulation (June 2020)
- Quoted, “Workers’ fear for jobs leads them to keep working even if ill under lockdown,” The Scotsman (June 1, 2020)
- Author, “Data Protection by Design and by Default – EDPB guidelines adopted,” Ent LR (January 2020)
- Author, “ICO Consultation on draft GDPR Guidance on Contracts and liabilities between controllers and processors – are your processor contracts GDPR compliant?” Data Protection Leader (October 2017)
- “The European Data Protection Supervisor’s Opinion on Mobile Health and Data Protection,” Bloomberg BNA: World Data Protection Report, Vol. 15, Number 6 (June 2015)
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- LLB (Hons) (Law), First Class, The College of Law, London, 2010
- Legal Practice Course, Distinction, The College of Law, London, 2010
- Graduate Diploma in Law, Distinction, The College of Law, London, 2009
- BA (Hons) (Modern Language Studies), 2:1, The University of Nottingham, 2007
Admissions / Qualifications
- England and Wales, Solicitor, 2014