Brendan McLaughlin joined Ropes & Gray in 2019 in the intellectual property litigation group. Brendan represents clients in a variety of intellectual property matters, including patent, trademark, copyright, and false advertising disputes. Brendan has worked on litigation matters in federal district court, the Patent Trial and Appeal Board, and the International Trade Commission.
During law school, Brendan was a law clerk for the International Trade Commission’s Office of Unfair Import Investigations. Brendan was also a law clerk for the United States House of Representatives Committee on the Judiciary where he focused on patent and antitrust issues. Before joining Ropes & Gray, Brendan drafted and prosecuted patent applications at a boutique intellectual property law firm.
- Ropes & Gray LLP, D2021-0011 (UDRP): On behalf of the firm, secured a transfer of a domain name confusingly similar to Ropes & Gray’s trademark from cybersquatters.
- Certain Electronic Devices, Including Streaming Players, Televisions, Set Top Boxes, Remote Controllers, and Components Thereof, 337-TA-1200 (ITC): Defending Roku Inc. against claims of infringement in a six-patent case relating to remote control programming technology.
- Supercell OY v. Gree, Inc., PGR2020-00063 (PTAB): Successfully defended Gree, Inc. from a post-grant review petition challenging a patent on §§ 101, 102, 103, and 112 grounds.
- Represented a Leading Medical Device Company in the Northern District of California in a trade secret, contract, and copyright case involving technologies for flow cytometers.
- Co-author, “Bill Curtailing NPE Suits At ITC Could Restructure Licensing,” Law360 (September 16, 2020)
- Co-author, “What if Gov’t Allows Patent Infringement for COVID-19 Drugs?,” Law360 (April 1, 2020)
- Co-author, “ITC May Be Straying From Traditional Exclusion Order Test,” Law360 (December 17, 2019)
- Author, “Are ITC Cease and Desist Orders Overstepping Statutory Constraints?,” 42 337 Reporter 44 (2018)
- Contributor, 337 Reporter Monthly Round-Up (2020 – Present)
- JD, Georgetown University Law Center, 2019
- BS (Biology), Syracuse University, 2014
Admissions / Qualifications
- District of Columbia, 2020
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Patent Agent, 2017