Bryan P. MacDonald
Bryan P. MacDonald joined Ropes & Gray in 2010 and is a senior associate practicing in the real estate investments and transactions group. Bryan has extensive experience representing some of the world’s largest hedge funds, pension funds, private equity funds, investment managers and institutional investors in a wide variety of market-leading transactional real estate matters, including the negotiation of complex joint ventures for real estate investments and related acquisitions, dispositions, financings, restructurings and recapitalizations.
Bryan represents Cradles to Crayons pro bono in a variety of real estate and corporate matters.
Joint Ventures and Co-Investments
- Representation of a global investment manager in the recapitalization of more than $2 billion of commercial and multifamily real estate assets located throughout the United States.
- Representation of an international real estate investor in the negotiation of a multi-tier joint venture structure to acquire a billion-dollar portfolio of real estate assets in the secondary market.
- Representation of a European pension fund in the formation of a programmatic joint venture to acquire and develop more than $1.2 billion of mixed use real estate located in New York City.
- Representation of a Canadian pension fund in the recapitalization of a half-billion dollar mixed use project located in downtown Los Angeles.
- Representation of a capital partner in a joint venture for the redevelopment of Pier 57 located in New York City, with equity, construction financing and tax credit investments exceeding a half-billion dollars.
- Representation of a San Francisco-based operating partner in the formation of joint ventures and co-investment structures to acquire and finance portfolios of multifamily properties.
Acquisitions and Dispositions
- Acquisition of the 161-acre Suffolk Downs site located in East Boston, Massachusetts. The redevelopment will convert the historic former racing facility into a mixed-use development featuring commercial office space, retail, housing and open space.
- Acquisition of the headquarters of Ameriprise Financial, Inc. located in Minneapolis, Minnesota.
- Acquisition of a 116-acre site in New Jersey to serve as the future site of the Seton Hall-Hackensack Meridian School of Medicine.
- Acquisition of the 90-acre former Military Ocean Terminal in Bayonne, New Jersey, which will be redeveloped into 1.6 million square feet of build-to-suit industrial space.
- Sale of a portfolio of apartment complexes located in Midland County, Texas for nearly $300 million.
- Sale of a mixed use condominium project located in Atlanta, Georgia for more than $200 million.
- Representation of a global hedge fund in the San Francisco market’s largest-ever multifamily portfolio financing: the $815 million financing involved two pools of CMBS financing and multiple tiers of mezzanine financing.
- Representation of lenders providing construction financing in excess of $1 billion to ultra-luxury residential condominium projects located in New York City and Miami, Florida.
- Representation of a lender providing EB-5 financing to a redevelopment project located in Times Square, New York City.
- Representation of an operating partner in the negotiation of a $175 million multi-venture credit facility to finance a portfolio of multifamily properties.
- Representation of an institutional investor in the negotiation of a $120 million credit tenant lease (CTL) financing of a mixed use development project.
- Co-Author, “Selling to Your Operating Partner,” Real Estate Fund Manager (September 2015)