Daniela Manrique Escobar
Daniela Manrique Escobar advises businesses in complex civil litigation and government enforcement matters and investigations. Daniela works with a diverse group of clients, including private equity firms, medical device manufacturers, public companies, investment management firms, and pharmaceutical manufacturers. Daniela handles Foreign Corrupt Practices Act internal investigations, and is also responsible for performing anti-corruption, anti-money laundering and sanctions due diligence and risk analyses. Daniela has written motions and briefs, and has performed different aspects of discovery, such as document review, document production, and deposition preparation. Daniela has also guided investment management firms facing excessive fee claims, and has advised a company in connection with its government-appointed compliance monitorship.
Daniela maintains an active pro bono practice, advising on immigration, and family law issues, for which she has written briefs and provided court representation. Daniela also represents indigent defendants in federal criminal proceedings through the firm’s participation in the Criminal Justice Act Program.
During law school Daniela represented clients as a student attorney at the Suffolk University Law School Family Advocacy Clinic, and interned at the Suffolk County District Attorney’s Office, Family Protection and Sexual Assault Bureau. Daniela also competed in the 2013 National Health Law Moot Court Competition as a member of her law school’s team, and served as a legal research assistant for Professor Elizabeth Trujillo.
- Represents leading biopharmaceutical company in DOJ investigation alleging various kickback theories related to health care provider consulting arrangements and other company-sponsored programs.
- Regularly conducts internal investigations for global companies and their subsidiaries involving allegations of bribery and violations of company policy
- Regularly implements and conducts post-acquisition anti-corruption due diligence recommendations and forward risk mitigation plan for companies in South America, Europe and North America.
- Represented a major pharmaceutical manufacturer in an investigation by the Department of Justice concerning alleged violations of the federal Anti-Kickback Statute.
- Conducted internal investigations, including onsite interviews and audits, of major multinational pharmaceutical company’s operations in Colombia, Venezuela, Costa Rica and Peru in connection with whistleblower allegations of violations of the FCPA and related compliance policies.
- Conducted an internal investigation on behalf of client into allegations of bribery involving an energy company in South America.
- Conducted internal investigations, including onsite interviews and transaction testing, on behalf of client involving allegations of bribery and violations of company policy in Latin America.
- Conducted international investigations of a Fortune 500 company’s operations in Thailand in connection with whistleblower allegations of violations of the FCPA and accounting fraud.
- Represented an engineering and construction Fortune 500 company in an internal white-collar corporate investigation in South America.
- Conducted an internal investigation into allegations of accounting fraud for a U.S. university.
Anti-Corruption & International Risks Compliance and Diligence
- Regularly conducts anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, and sanctions due diligence for large credit managers for various transactions structures such as acquisition financing, direct lending, debt instruments, credit transactions involving equity or board control, purchases of NPL portfolios and preferred debt securities, as well as second lien financing.
- Conducts proactive FCPA risk assessments for major multinational companies’ global operations.
- Assists global companies with the creation and implementation of global anti‐corruption programs.
- Regularly assists global companies in the life sciences, hospitality, and oil & gas industries with the restructuring of their anti-corruption compliance programs.
- Regularly conducts pre-acquisition and post-acquisition anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, and sanctions due diligence for large private equity firms.
- Regularly prepares and conducts FCPA and related anti-corruption trainings for U.S. based multinational company’s subsidiaries located in Latin America.
- Regularly conducts due diligence media investigations of targets in high-risk markets in Europe, the Middle East, Latin America and the Caribbean.
- Advised a U.S.-based multinational medical device company regarding its government-appointed compliance monitorship.
- Counseled a publicly-traded international food and beverage company on vendor anti-corruption due diligence.
- Performed reputational due diligence of target company on behalf of financial services client.
- Assisted global manufacturing company with the restructuring of their anti-corruption compliance program.
Litigation & Enforcement
- Counseled clients in matters involving the False Claims Act in the medical device sector.
- Participated in legal team currently defending three mutual fund advisers against claims of excessive fees, challenging the alleged differential between advisory and sub-advisory fees.
- Advised Harris Associates in a 1940 Act fee case.
- Advised in Tribune Company fraudulent conveyance action seeking clawback of $8 billion in leveraged buy-out proceeds.
- Currently representing two clients in custody and divorce proceedings in Suffolk Probate and Family Court.
- Currently representing unaccompanied minor in removal proceedings in Boston Immigration Court.
- Successfully represented an indigent defendant in federal criminal defense proceedings where he faced racketeering and weapon possession charges as part of a larger indictment following a five year FBI investigation.
- Successfully represented client in immigration proceedings where the court granted the client Special Immigrant Juvenile status adjustment.
- Successfully represented client in Boston Immigration Court where the Court rescinded the client’s in absentia removal order and reopened the client’s immigration case.
- Successfully represented client in Suffolk Family and Probate Court where the court granted the client sole legal and physical custody of client’s child and order for special findings of fact and rulings of law.
- Co-author, “Costa Rica Enacts Corporate Criminal Liability for Acts of Bribery; Enforcement May Soon Follow,” Ropes & Gray Alert (October 4, 2019)
- Contributor, “Firing on All Cylinders: What to Expect in the PDVSA Investigation and How Companies Should Respond,” The Anti-Corruption Report (May 1, 2019) (Part 2 of 2)
- Contributor, “Firing on All Cylinders: U.S. Enforcement Efforts Against Venezuela State-Owned Oil Company PDVSA,” The Anti-Corruption Report (April 17, 2019) (Part 1 of 2)
- Co-author, “Brazilian Federal Supreme Court Decision May Invalidate Key Operation Car Wash Efforts, but Enforcement Efforts Show No Sign of Slowing Down,” Ropes & Gray Alert (March 26, 2019)
- Contributor, “New Anti-Corruption Focus In Mexico May Include Medtech Scrutiny,” MedTech Insights (January 16, 2019)
- Contributor, “Eletrobras’ Many Facets: Victim, Wrongdoer, State-Owned Entity, Issuer and More,” The Anti-Corruption Report (January 9, 2019)
- Co-author, “AMLO in Office: A New Dawn in Mexico’s Fight Against Corruption?” Ropes & Gray Alert (January 8, 2019)
- Panelist, “Georgetown Latin American Law Students Association Networking Workshop,” Georgetown University Law Center (February 27, 2019)
- Panelist, “Diverse Alumni Speaker Series,” Suffolk University Law School (January 22, 2019)
- Presenter, “Regulatory Implications of Advertising and Promotion of Medical Device Company Service Offerings,” Annual Conference for Global Medical Device Company (November 8, 2018)
- JD, summa cum laude, Suffolk University Law School, 2015; Academic Leadership Scholarship; Academic Achievement Scholarship; The International Legal Society of Phi Delta Phi, Member; Student Attorney, Family Advocacy Clinic
- BA (English: Advanced Composition & Rhetoric; Minor: Journalism), magna cum laude, Georgia State University, 2011; Golden Key Honour Society, Member