David M. Mandel
Dave handled a wide range of labor and employment matters for clients in the health care, educational, social services, financial services and commercial fields. He advised clients on the full range of issues facing employers, including performance management, discipline and discharge, wage hour matters, and leaves of absence.
A significant portion of Dave’s practice involved the representation of employers in dealing with the range of union-related issues, from union organizing and National Labor Relations Board proceedings, to union contract negotiations and operations under collective bargaining contracts application, and labor union grievance arbitrations. Dave also had experience in complex business immigration matters.
Dave served as the firm’s own employment practices compliance counsel, and played a major role in the firm’s own performance evaluations and performance management of its associate lawyers.
- Union Avoidance: Dave has successfully represented many hospitals and other health care facilities, a national media company, a local college and a real estate management firm in remaining or becoming union-free.
- Union Negotiations: Dave represents a number of health care systems in their labor union collective bargaining negotiations, securing wage and other pay freezes, health insurance concessions, and other give-backs. Dave advises educational institutions and commercial clients with respect to collective bargaining negotiations.
- Labor Union Grievance Arbitrations: Dave devotes a major portion of his practice to the representation of unionized employers in the grievance arbitration process, and has obtained dozens of favorable decisions in such areas as discipline and discharge, layoffs, bargaining unit work, pay practices, leaves of absence and other matters.
- Non-union employers: Dave regularly advises non-union employers in such areas as performance management, discipline and discharge, layoffs, and leaves of absence.
- Wage–Hour Compliance: Dave advises many clients in the financial services, commercial, retail, health care, and social services sectors concerning compliance with federal and state wage and hours laws. Dave has been a frequent public speaker on topical issues in the wage-hour area.
- Business Immigration: Dave handles complex business immigration matters for employers. He has successfully secured work authorization in a range of cases, including a chief of cardiology who had previously received a deportation order; CEOs of biotechnology and management consulting companies; and sports and artistic performers. Dave has handled many immigration matters for financial services companies. He has successfully represented employers before the U.S. Department of Justice in connection with immigration unfair practices proceedings.
- JD, magna cum laude, Harvard Law School, 1976; Editor, Harvard Law Review , 1974-75 and 1975-1976
- BA, summa cum laude, Yale University, 1973
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 1977
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit
- Supreme Court of the United States
The Best Lawyers in America (2005-2020)
Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2008-2019)
Massachusetts Super Lawyers (2011-2018)
PLC Which Lawyer (2010-2011)