Erin Macgowan is an associate in the business and securities litigation group. Erin’s practice focuses on appellate matters, as well as bankruptcy, antitrust, environmental, and other complex commercial disputes.
Prior to joining the firm, Erin served as a law clerk to the Honorable Bruce M. Selya of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the First Circuit. During law school, Erin was Editor in Chief of the Boston College Law Review and won the Francis D. Privitera Family Commencement Award for outstanding scholarship and exceptional contribution to the Law School.
- Successfully represented mortgagee before the Supreme Court in Bullard v. Blue Hills Bank f/k/a/ Hyde Park Savings Bank (U.S. No. 14-115) in case involving appellate jurisdiction in bankruptcy proceedings, resulting in unanimous decision in client’s favor.
- Represented individual charged with obstruction of justice in connection with Deepwater Horizon oil spill before the Fifth Circuit seeking mandamus review of a denial of a recusal motion and on government appeal from a motion granting a new trial.
- Represented father in a high profile international child custody dispute before both the New Hampshire Supreme Court and the United States Supreme Court.
- Part of a team that drafted an en banc petition to the Eleventh Circuit, representing three national medical organizations and six physicians in First Amendment challenge to Florida law that prevented doctors from speaking freely with patients about gun safety.
- Represents indenture trustee for first lien noteholders in the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the District of Delaware and on appeal of the bankruptcy court’s approval of a settlement before the U.S. District Court for the District of Delaware and the Third Circuit.
- Represents cable company in pending antitrust litigation involving claims of unlawful tying and monopoly in connection with cable set-top boxes.
- Represents company engaged in remedial design process under CERCLA, including filing a motion for further relief in the U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts.
- Represents nonprofit land reservation in appeal of denial of federal funding for disaster assistance.
- Part of a team that drafted an amicus brief in the Supreme Court case of Clark v. Rameker (U.S. No. 13-299).
- Erin Dewey, Dust in the Wind: Is TVA’s Permit Shield a Death Knell for Interstate Nuisance Claims?, 52 B.C. L. REV. E. SUPP. 43 (2011)
- Erin Dewey, Sundown and You Better Take Care: Why Sunset Provisions Harm the Renewable Energy Industry and Violate Tax Principles, 52 B.C. L. REV. 1106 (2011)
- Robert Bloom & Erin Macgowan, When Rights Become Empty Promises: Promoting an Exclusionary Rule That Vindicates Personal Rights, 46 IRISH JURIST 38 (2011).