James D. McGinnis
Jamie McGinnis is counsel in the corporate department and is a member of the asset management group. His practice has involved advising registered funds, investment advisers, and government agencies regarding a broad range of topics, including regulatory policy and SEC rulemaking.
Jamie began his career at Ropes & Gray in 2012 and rejoined the firm in 2022 after serving as Senior Counsel in the Chief Counsel’s Office and the Investment Adviser Regulation Office at the SEC’s Division of Investment Management, as well as Senior Policy Advisor and lead securities counsel at the U.S. House Committee on Financial Services.
In private practice, Jamie has broad experience assisting funds with formation and ongoing operational and compliance matters. Jamie’s work at the Commission was similarly wide-ranging, including work on novel exemptive applications, advising on digital asset custody compliance, and drafting time-sensitive no-action guidance on auditor independence requirements. Jamie also assisted on Commission rulemakings and participated in multiple on-site examinations of investment advisers. On the Financial Services Committee, Jamie counseled Members of Congress and drafted legislation on a variety of securities-related topics.
Jamie's background and experience allow him to identify significant commercial, regulatory, and political issues; understand emerging trends; and craft innovative solutions that are unique to the concerns of Ropes & Gray’s clients.
- Quoted, “No slowdown expected in rule-making for SEC and DOL,” Pensions & Investments (January 16, 2023)
- Quoted, “Emboldened House Republicans to bring ESG scrutiny, experts say,” Roll Call (December 8, 2022)
- Quoted, “Democrats Won’t Lose SEC Majority on Election Night,” InvestmentNews (October 28, 2022)
- Co-author, “Fund Names,” Practising Law Institute's Mutual Funds and Exchange Traded Funds (August 2013)
- Panelist, “ESG and Investing,” 2022 Cato Summit on Financial Regulation (November 17, 2022)
- Speaker, “SEC Priorities: What they mean for you,” ICI Securities Law Developments Conference (October 11, 2022)
- JD, magna cum laude, Harvard Law School, 2012; Managing Editor, Harvard Journal of Law & Public Policy
- BA (Economics), magna cum laude, University of Notre Dame, 2009
Admissions / Qualifications
- District of Columbia, 2022
- Massachusetts, 2012
- New York, 2013