Joe Muller is an associate in the venture capital & emerging companies and intellectual property transactions practice groups at Ropes & Gray. He advises life sciences and technology companies and venture capital, institutional and strategic investors on formation and startup matters, minority equity financing transactions, general corporate and governance matters, and a variety of strategic transactions including licensing, collaboration and commercial agreements, joint ventures and mergers and acquisitions.
- Represented Camp4 Therapeutics Corporation in its $100 million Series B financing and in ongoing corporate and commercial matters.
- Represented IDRx, Inc. in a license agreement with and Series A Preferred Stock equity issuance to Blueprint Medicines Corporation.
- Represented Sigilon Therapeutics, Inc. in its $80 million Series B financing.
- Represented Solarea Bio, Inc. in its $11.2 million Series A financing and in ongoing corporate matters.
- Represented a biotechnology company in establishing a joint venture with a global pharmaceutical company.
- Regularly represents various venture-backed life sciences and technology companies in formation and startup matters, venture financings and ongoing corporate and commercial matters.
- Represented Crosspoint Capital Partners in various investments, including in leading a $50 million Series C investment in Afero, Inc., in leading a $56 million Series B investment in ReversingLabs, Inc., in its investment in Everseen Limited and in other matters.
- Regularly represents Pfizer Ventures in various investments, including in its Series A investment in DEM BioPharma, Inc., in its Series A investment in Kestrel Therapeutics, Inc., in its Series B investment in ImmunOs Therapeutics AG and in other matters.
- Represented a leading institutional investor in 20+ venture investments while working in-house on secondment from Ropes & Gray; regularly represents the same institutional investor in in various investments, including in leading Series D investments in two technology companies, in its Series B investments in three technology companies and in other matters.
- Advised a leading research university regarding a student-led social-impact venture fund.
- Represented a social-impact investment firm in leading a Series Seed investment in an education company and in ongoing portfolio company matters.
- Regularly represents various venture capital, institutional and strategic investors in venture capital, growth equity and other minority equity investments and in portfolio company management including formation and startup matters and ongoing portfolio company matters.
Licenses & Collaborations
- Represented Tmunity Therapeutics, Inc. in various licensing and commercial matters.
- Represented Xeris Biopharma in a research collaboration and option agreement with Horizon Therapeutics.
- Represented a biomanufacturing company in a strategic collaboration with a biotechnology company.
Mergers & Acquisitions
- Represented a special committee of the board of Akcea Therapeutics, Inc. in connection with the sale of Akcea to Ionis Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Represented American Well Corporation in its acquisition of Conversa Health.
- Represented Becton Dickinson in its acquisition of Venclose, Inc.
- Represented a global medical device company in a company acquisition and license of assets for use in existing product offerings.
- Represented Dragoneer Growth Opportunities Corp., Corp. II and Corp. III in their IPOs, respectively raising $690 million, $276 million and $400 million.
- Advised TPG on intellectual property matters in connection with its investment in Musixmatch S.p.A.
- Represented Vapotherm, Inc. in a $94 million equity follow-on offering and in ongoing corporate and securities matters.
- Represented The Wendy’s Company in a refinancing transaction and offering of $1.4 billion in notes under its whole-business securitization.
- Advised a leading research university in a review and revision of its intellectual property policies.
- JD, Yale Law School, 2019
- PhD (Political Theory), Harvard University, 2016
- AM (Political Theory), Harvard University, 2015
- BA (Classics), Baylor University, 2010; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2019