Luwam Berhane Mezue
Luwam Mezue joined the finance practice as an associate in 2018; her practice focuses on corporate and financial transactions. Prior to joining the firm, Luwam was an associate at a leading international law firm in New York and London.
Luwam has experience working on a broad range of high yield and investment grade SEC registered securities offerings, unregistered offerings (Rule 144A and Regulation S transactions), sovereign issuances, liability management transactions as well as cross-border banking and loan transactions including leveraged and acquisition commitments and financings. She has experience representing corporate issuers, sponsors and lenders in a variety of industries including, financial institutions, fintech, consumer products, art, sports, telecom, pharmaceuticals, airlines, oil & gas and agri-food.
Luwam completed her JD at Harvard Law School and also studied international law for a semester at the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies in Geneva, Switzerland.
- Acting for Morgan Stanley and the other initial purchasers in connection with the €600 million offering of senior notes due 2025 by Intrum AB, a leading provider of credit management services and solutions, and the €250 million follow-on offering of senior notes due 2025
- Acting for Altice France in connection with the financing aspects of its complex multi-part transaction to significantly simplify the Altice group's capital structure, including a €2.1 billion equivalent offering of senior notes and senior secured notes, a multi-tranche exchange offer for €1.4 billion and $1.6 billion of notes issued by Altice Luxembourg and the automatic flip-up of €1.6 billion of senior notes to a new holding company of Altice France
- Advising BidFair on the financing for its US$3.7 billion acquisition of Sotheby's, which included, among others, a $600 million high yield bond, a $500 million term loan B and a $400 million revolving credit facility
- Advising Goldman Sachs on the financing for the SEK13bn public takeover offer by the Af Jochnick family in respect of Oriflame Holding
- Advising Altice USA on the structuring and financing aspects, totaling $6.75bn, of the combination of its Suddenlink (Cequel) and Optimum (Cablevision) businesses under a single credit silo. Ropes & Gray was awarded the Transatlantic Finance Team of the Year at the Legal Week Transatlantic Awards in connection with its representation of Altice USA on this transaction
- Advising Altice Europe on the refinancing of € billions of debt within its Altice France and Altice Luxembourg credit pools
- Advising Liberty Global on the refinancing of € billions of debt within its Virgin Media and Vodafone Ziggo credit pools including issuance of vendor financing notes
Experience prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- Advising the initial purchasers on high yield issuance by RCS&RDS, the only Romanian corporate group issuer to date of international high yield bonds
- Advising the Hellenic Republic on an exchange offer of existing sovereign bonds and the issuance of new sovereign Reg. S senior bond
- Advising HSBC on the issuance of AT1, Tier 2 and TLAC registered securities
- Advising HSBC on the issuance of first ever Social Development Goal bond
- Advising a Latin American corporate issuer on establishment of an export financing program with the Export-Import Bank of the United States and concurrent section 3(a)2 senior unsecured notes offering
- Advising initial purchasers on 144A/Reg. S bond offerings by BNP
- Advising initial purchasers on registered bonds offering by various corporate issuers including Chevron and Enterprise
- Advising seller and buyer’s counsels on confidential M&A acquisitions
- Advising GSK and HSBC on Exchange Act reporting and establishment of shelf programs
- Advising various corporate issuers on initial and follow-on equity offerings
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2014
- BA (Comparative Politics, French Language & Literature, African Studies), Princeton University, 2009
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2015
- Winner of "Transatlantic Finance Team of the Year - Transatlantic Legal Awards 2019"
- Winner of Capital Markets Team of the Year - Law360 Awards 2018