Matthew Mazzotta joined Ropes & Gray in January 2013. His practice focuses on civil litigation and appellate advocacy.
Matthew has successfully represented clients in a wide variety of civil litigation at both the trial and appellate levels. He currently represents an international company in a Hong Kong arbitration regarding a commercial supply agreement. He also provides litigation-related services and advice to businesses and non-profits.
Matthew has previously secured dismissal of parallel securities class action and shareholder derivative lawsuits in the United States District Dourt in Massachusetts and the First Circuit. He has also successfully defended clients in contractual disputes at both the trial and appellate levels in Massachusetts state courts. He secured a settlement on behalf of a private equity client in a Delaware indemnification action. Matthew has also represented multiple clients in government investigations and qui tam actions. In addition, he has worked on appellate matters before the United States Supreme Court, the First Circuit, the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court, and the Massachusetts Appeals Court.
Matthew maintains an active pro bono practice. He successfully represented non-profit organizations suing several Massachusetts state entities over alleged failures to provide voter registration services at Massachusetts public assistance offices in accordance with the National Voter Registration Act. He has also represented several pro bono clients in amicus briefs filed with the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court.
Matthew graduated from Boston College Law School in 2010. Prior to joining the firm, Matthew completed clerkships on the Massachusetts Supreme Judicial Court and in the United States District Court for the District of Massachusetts. Between clerkships, he served as a legal fellow in the Office of the Governor’s Legal Counsel for Massachusetts Governor Deval Patrick. Before law school, Matthew worked as a journalist in television and radio in the Boston area.
- Representing international client in Hong Kong arbitration regarding a commercial supply agreement.
- Won settlement in Delaware indemnification litigation for private equity client against former owner of acquired business.
- Successfully defended trial judgment on behalf of a Massachusetts hospital group arising out of litigation over ground lease in Massachusetts Appeals Court.
- Successfully defended client in Massachusetts state court litigation over lease dispute.
- Secured dismissal of parallel class action and derivative litigation filed in federal court in Massachusetts against medical device manufacturer alleging securities fraud and breach of fiduciary duty, with both dismissals affirmed by the First Circuit.
- Won settlement in lawsuit against multiple Massachusetts state agencies over alleged failures to provide voter registration services in accordance with the National Voter Registration Act.
- Experience representing clients in government investigations and regulatory inquiries.
- Matthew Mazzotta,"Balancing Act: Finding Consensus on Standards for Unmasking Anonymous Internet Speakers," 51 Boston College Law Review 833 (2010)