Michael G. Marzano
Michael Marzano is a senior attorney in Ropes & Gray's litigation department. Michael represents health care companies, private equity firms, and other corporations in government enforcement actions, internal investigations, and complex business litigation. Michael also has experience advising clients on anti-corruption risk and compliance. He also has an active pro bono practice.
During law school, Michael spent a summer working for the New Jersey Attorney General’s Division of Law.
- Advised private equity firms and their portfolio companies on the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act and trade and economic sanction issues in cross-border transactions.
- Developed and implemented anti-corruption, anti-bribery, and trade sanctions compliance programs for companies with operations in high-risk jurisdictions.
- Conducted global anti-corruption risk assessments for private equity firms and their portfolio companies.
- Assisted with multiple internal investigations related to potential Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations.
- Advised lenders on anti-corruption, anti-money laundering, and trade and economic sanctions issues in dozens of cross-border credit transactions.
- Advised multiple energy firms on anti-corruption and trade issues involving oil and gas infrastructure projects in Mexico.
- Conducted trainings on anti-corruption and trade issues for companies operating in high-risk jurisdictions and industries.
- Represented multiple companies in connection with DOJ and SEC investigations involving alleged financial fraud, insider trading, and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in DOJ and SEC investigation involving alleged material misrepresentations, off-label promotion, and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations.
- Represented diagnostic laboratory in DOJ investigation that included allegations of kickbacks, illegal referrals, and other regulatory violations.
- Represented diagnostic laboratory in multiple federal actions brought by national insurance companies involving ERISA, fraud, and state law tort claims.
- Represented diagnostic laboratory in multiple federal actions brought by and against former external sales contractor involving breach of contract claims.
- Represented a hospital network and its directors in a multi-jurisdictional shareholder litigation arising out of an equity recapitalization and obtained dismissal of all claims and summary judgment on all affirmative contractual claims.
- Represented a private equity firm in a breach of fiduciary duty action in federal court and obtained dismissal of all claims.
- Represented health care companies in federal securities fraud class actions.
- Represented an assisted living company in an SEC investigation involving allegations of material misrepresentations in securities filings.
- Represented corporate executive in connection with an SEC investigation involving allegations of material misrepresentations in securities filings.
- Represented a hedge fund in connection with a claim valuation dispute in a bankruptcy proceeding.
- Conducted audits of pharmaceutical promotional events for regulatory compliance.
- Represented multiple applicants pro bono in affirmative asylum proceedings.
- Obtained asylum from the Chicago Immigration Court for a woman and her two children from the Republic of the Congo and Senegal who had faced political and gender-based persecution.
- Obtained asylum from Chicago Asylum Office for Congolese man persecuted on account of his political beliefs and ethnicity.
- Obtained asylum from Chicago Asylum Office for Tajik woman persecuted on account of her non-conformity with prevailing social, political, and religious norms and who feared future persecution on account of her sexual orientation.
- Successfully represented three asylum applicants from the Democratic Republic of the Congo before the Chicago Immigration Court, establishing a well-founded fear of future persecution on account of political opinion and activities.
- Co-author, “Disclosure of Exculpatory Evidence in ‘Parallel’ Civil and Criminal Investigations,” The Anti-Corruption Report (April 28, 2021)
- Co-author, “South Korea Fines Prominent Pharmaceutical Manufacturer in Latest Anti-Corruption Enforcement Efforts,” Ropes & Gray Alert (May 1, 2017)
- JD, Columbia University School of Law, 2013; Harlan Fiske Stone Scholar
- BA (History & Political Science), magna cum laude ; Phi Beta Kappa, Northwestern University, 2009
Admissions / Qualifications
- Illinois, 2013