Michael G. Marzano
Michael Marzano joined Ropes & Gray in 2013 as an associate in the litigation department. Michael represents health care companies, private equity firms, and other corporations in government enforcement actions, internal investigations, and complex business litigation. Michael also has experience advising clients on anti-corruption risk and compliance. He also has an active pro bono practice.
During law school, Michael spent a summer working for the New Jersey Attorney General’s Division of Law.
- Represented multiple companies in connection with DOJ and SEC investigations involving alleged financial fraud, insider trading, and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations.
- Represented pharmaceutical company in DOJ and SEC investigation involving alleged material misrepresentations, off-label promotion, and Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations.
- Represented diagnostic laboratory in DOJ investigation that included allegations of kickbacks, illegal referrals, and other regulatory violations.
- Represented diagnostic laboratory in multiple federal actions brought by national insurance companies involving ERISA, fraud, and state law tort claims.
- Represented diagnostic laboratory in multiple federal actions brought by and against former external sales contractor involving breach of contract claims.
- Represented a hospital network and its directors in a multi-jurisdictional shareholder litigation arising out of an equity recapitalization and obtained dismissal of all claims and summary judgment on all affirmative contractual claims.
- Represented a private equity firm in a breach of fiduciary duty action in federal court and obtained dismissal of all claims.
- Represented health care companies in federal securities fraud class actions.
- Represented an assisted living company in an SEC investigation involving allegations of material misrepresentations in securities filings.
- Represented corporate executive in connection with an SEC investigation involving allegations of material misrepresentations in securities filings.
- Assisted with multiple internal investigations related to potential Foreign Corrupt Practices Act violations.
- Advised private equity firms on Foreign Corrupt Practices Act, U.K. Bribery Act, and trade and economic sanction issues in cross-border transactions.
- Developed and implemented anti-corruption, anti-bribery, and trade sanctions compliance programs for companies with operations in high-risk jurisdictions.
- Conducted global anti-corruption risk assessments for private equity firms.
- Represented a hedge fund in connection with a claim valuation dispute in a bankruptcy proceeding.
- Conducted audits of pharmaceutical promotional events for regulatory compliance.
- Represented multiple applicants pro bono in affirmative asylum proceedings.
- Obtained asylum for Congolese man persecuted on account of his political beliefs and ethnicity.
- Co-author, “South Korea Fines Prominent Pharmaceutical Manufacturer in Latest Anti-Corruption Enforcement Efforts,” Ropes & Gray Alert (May 1, 2017)