Michael McGrath is an associate in the health care and educational institutions practices at Ropes & Gray. Michael advises hospitals and health systems, educational institutions, museums, insurance companies, managed care organizations, and pharmaceutical and medical device companies, on a variety of transactional, corporate governance, compliance and regulatory matters. Michael is also a member of the firm’s public finance practice and has served as borrower’s counsel, underwriter’s counsel and bond counsel in connection with both tax-exempt and taxable financings.
- Advised several colleges and universities in connection with statutory mergers with other educational institutions.
- Advised various health care systems and community hospitals in connection with both affiliations and mergers with other health care and academic organizations.
- Advised multiple non-profit organizations in connection with “spin-offs” of certain unincorporated divisions to both non-profit and for-profit acquirers.
- Counseled an academic medical center in connection with the reorganization of its clinical and academic enterprises.
- Participated in more than $2 billion in various tax-exempt and taxable bond offerings and bank direct purchases for multiple health care and university clients in Massachusetts, New York, Vermont, Maine and California as borrower’s, bond and underwriter’s counsel.
- Counseled a for-profit managed care organization in connection with its potential acquisition of another managed care organization.
- Advised a number of non-profit organizations with respect to various corporate governance issues
- Provided regulatory and compliance counseling to health care organizations, insurance companies, and educational institutions on a broad range of issues, including federal and state licensure requirements, Title IV compliance, accreditation issues, fraud and abuse laws, and prescription drug and device distribution requirements.
- JD, cum laude, Duke University School of Law, 2014; research editor, Duke Law Journal
- BS (Health Care Management & Policy), magna cum laude, Georgetown University, 2011
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2014
- The Best Lawyers in America – Ones to Watch (2021-2023)