Peter Mugo is counsel in the asset management group.
Peter’s practice focuses on the representation of U.S. and foreign institutional investors on a broad range of matters including investments in alternative assets.
Peter counsels institutional investors and private equity funds with respect to investments in alternative assets, including private equity funds, venture capital funds, hedge funds, credit funds, real estate funds, energy funds and infrastructure funds. Peter routinely assists clients with reviewing and negotiating investment documentation, including partnership agreements, subscription agreements, private placement memoranda and side letters. Peter also provides guidance on a variety of post investment matters, such as advisory board (LPAC) issues, review of “most favored nation” side letter elections, amendments to fund structures and governing documents, and review and negotiation of transfers and fund interests. In addition, Peter negotiates and advises in secondary portfolio transactions as well as syndicated and direct co-investments.
Peter joined Ropes & Gray in 2022, and was previously with another major global law firm.
- Noted, “Wake Up Call,” Bloomberg Law (June 8, 2022)
- Panelist, “Private Equity: Issuer Entity Structure, Financial Analysis and Deal Documentation,” American College of Investment Counsel Forum, Chicago, IL (April 19-20, 2018)
- Panelist, “Legal Context For Minimizing Risk When Investing in Africa,” Africonomie forum, Washington, D.C. (May 15, 2017)
- Panelist, “Mining Returns of Direct Equity Opportunities,” American College of Investment Counsel Forum, New York, NY (October 16-17, 2014)
- LLM, Boston University School of Law, 1998
- LLB, with honors, University of Nairobi, 1995
Admissions / Qualifications
- Texas, 2021
- California, 2001
- New York, 2000
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of California