Ross MacPherson has been a member of the firm’s global Litigation and Enforcement department since 2019, focusing on commercial litigation and government enforcement actions. Ross has developed extensive research, drafting, and investigations experience in an array of industries and in various jurisdictions.
Ross maintains an active pro bono practice counseling a not-for-profit corporation on governance matters, and representing veterans in discharge status upgrade petitions. During law school, Ross was managing articles editor for The University of Michigan Journal of Law Reform, and represented several low-income veterans through Michigan Law School’s Veterans Legal Clinic.
- Represents electronic health records company in ongoing consumer protection investigation in consumer protection investigations involving more than a dozen state attorneys general.
- Successfully defended company against allegations that it violated a deferred prosecution agreement, securing no-fault settlement with DOJ requiring payment of minimal penalty.
- Represented shareholders in parallel derivative lawsuits in the Delaware Court of Chancery and California Superior Court against directors of software company for breach of fiduciary duty; secured rescission of nearly all excessive director compensation and reached settlement to install improved corporate governance measures.
- Defended commercial landlord in two lawsuits pre-emptively brought by tenants that failed to pay rent during the Covid-19 pandemic; secured motion to dismiss and eviction as to the first lawsuit, and secured an amended lease more favorable to the client in the second despite tenant-friendly equitable defenses.
- Conducted internal investigation of real-estate company concerning alleged signature fraud in financing documents submitted to government agencies.
- Represented investment management firm defending against adversary proceeding brought by competing bidder that sought an eight-figure professional fee after submitting failed bid to purchase reorganized debtor; settled matter for less than 10% of plaintiff’s requested fee.
- Co-author, “Individuals in Cross-Border Investigations or Proceedings: The US Perspective,” The Practitioner’s Guide to Global Investigations – Seventh Edition (January 4, 2023)
- Co-author, “Brazil, Bribes, and Banks: Brazilian Investment Company Pays $265M Fine in FCPA SEC and DOJ Enforcement Action Evidencing Ongoing Corruption Risks in Equity Financing in Brazil,” Ropes & Gray Alert (October 16, 2020)
- JD, University of Michigan Law School, 2019
- BA, Highest Honors and High Distinction, University of Michigan, 2016; Phi Beta Kappa
Admissions / Qualifications
- Massachusetts, 2019
- U.S. District Court for the District of Massachusetts, 2020