William Alex McGee
Alex McGee joined Ropes & Gray in 2015 as an associate in the business restructuring group. Alex focuses his practice in the areas of corporate restructurings and debt finance, including stand-alone reorganizations, section 363 asset sales, bankruptcy financings, and out-of-court restructurings. He has experience in representing corporate debtors, loan agents, indenture trustees, secured and unsecured creditors, and other interested parties in chapter 11 cases.
Prior to joining the firm, Alex clerked for Judge John S. Dalis of the U.S. Bankruptcy Court for the Southern District of Georgia. Before attending law school, he worked as a consultant to the federal government in Washington, D.C.
- Represents AeroGroup International LLC, a women’s footwear retailer, in its Chapter 11 case in the District of Delaware, including the sale of substantially all of its assets through a section 363 sale.
- Represents Gawker Media, LLC, an online media publication, in its Chapter 11 case in the Southern District of New York, including the sale of substantially all of its assets through a section 363 sale.
Indenture Trustee and Administrative Agent Representations
- Represents administrative agents and collateral agents in connection with exit financings for in court and out of court restructurings, including past and current representations in: Erickson Incorporated and True Religion Apparel, Inc.
- Represent indenture trustees in chapter 11 and cross-border bankruptcy proceedings, including past and current representations in: Abeinsa Holding Inc.; Energy XXI Ltd., GenOn Americas Generation, LLC; Lightstream Resources, Ltd.; MolyCorp, Inc.; Nuverra Environmental Solutions, Inc.; Quicksilver Resources Inc.; Takefuji Corp.; Tervita Corporation and Vanguard Natural Resources, LLC.
Creditor Group Representations
- Represented an ad hoc group of first lien term lenders to NewPage Corporation, a paper company, in the pre-negotiated chapter 11 cases of NewPage and its corporate parent, Verso Corporation.
- Represented the official committee of unsecured creditors in the Chapter 11 cases of Sabine Oil & Gas Corporation, an independent oil and gas exploration and production company with approximately $2.6 billion in funded debt obligations, with cases pending before the Southern District of New York.
- Bankruptcy opinion practice in connection with real estate financings, securitizations, repurchase agreements, and other secured lending arrangements for publicly traded and private real estate investment trusts
- James M. Wilton and William Alex McGee, “Robbing Peter to Pay for College? A Good-Faith Defense in Tuition Clawback Fraudulent Transfers,” American Bankruptcy Institute Journal (November 2016)