Ian A. Nilsen
Ian A. Nilsen is an associate in the corporate department focusing on intellectual property transactions. He advises life sciences and medical device clients on a wide range of transactions involving intellectual property, including technology licensing, complex collaborations, mergers and acquisitions, manufacturing, supply and distribution, research and development, intercompany structuring, and other commercial agreements. Ian also leverages his patent prosecution background to counsel clients on a variety of patent issues, including patent portfolio strategy, life cycle management, pre-litigation review, and freedom-to-operate.
Prior to joining the strategic transactions group, Ian prosecuted an extensive patent docket including medical device, pharmaceutical formulation, and computer software patent applications. Ian also has experience developing infringement and invalidity contentions for the ITC and U.S. district court, as well as with post-grant proceedings in front of the EPO and USPTO.
Ian’s published undergraduate research involved investigating the properties of small molecules using novel ultrafast laser spectroscopy techniques, and his graduate research focused on highly mismatched III-V semiconductor alloys for use in thermoelectric and optical applications. Ian also has industry experience developing high-throughput assays for screening monoclonal antibodies.
- Nilsen et al., “Monitoring equilibrium reaction dynamics of a nearly barrierless molecular rotor using ultrafast vibrational echoes,” J. Chem. Phys. 141, 134313 (2014)
- JD, with honors, The University of Chicago Law School, 2020
- MSE (Materials Science and Engineering), University of Michigan Ann Arbor, 2015
- BS (Chemistry), Highest Honors and Distinction, University of Michigan Ann Arbor, 2014
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2021
- Illinois, 2021
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Patent Agent, 2016