Ian A. Nilsen
Ian A. Nilsen is an associate in the intellectual property transactions group. Ian assists with both strategic patent counseling and IP due diligence of pharmaceutical, chemical, and medical device companies. As part of IP due diligence, Ian analyzes both US and foreign patent prosecution, litigation, and licenses, as well as freedom-to-operate considerations. Prior to joining IPT, Ian prosecuted a docket of more than 500 pending and issued cases across a wide variety of technical areas including medical devices, pharmaceutical formulations, and computer software. Ian has also supported the IP litigation group with infringement reads and invalidity contentions for software and chemical cases in the PTAB, ITC, and district court.
Prior to joining the firm, Ian was an analytical operations intern at Genentech, working on high-throughput assays for screening methionine oxidized monoclonal antibodies. As an undergraduate, Ian investigated the properties of small molecules using novel ultrafast laser spectroscopy techniques. One specific study, published in the Journal of Chemical Physics, involved comparing the frequency of an observed torsional mode of a molecular-scale rotor with quantum mechanical simulations in solvents of various size and dielectric constant. Ian’s Masters research focused on highly mismatched III-V semiconductor alloys for use in thermoelectric and optical applications. As part of this research, Ian implemented large-scale simulations on supercomputers at the National Energy Research Scientific Computing Center (NERSC) to determine how band gaps and dielectric properties evolved with changes in the alloy composition.
- Nilsen et al., “Monitoring equilibrium reaction dynamics of a nearly barrierless molecular rotor using ultrafast vibrational echoes,” J. Chem. Phys. 141, 134313 (2014)
- JD, with honors, The University of Chicago Law School, 2020
- MSE (Materials Science and Engineering), University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2015
- BS (Chemistry), Highest Honors and Distinction, University of Michigan, Ann Arbor, 2014
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2021
- Illinois, 2021
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Patent Agent, 2016