Joshua Nicholson joined Ropes & Gray's private equity practice group in February 2022. Prior to joining the firm, Joshua was an associate in the Johannesburg office of a leading African law firm. Joshua has experience advising private equity funds and associated portfolio companies on domestic and cross-border mergers and acquisitions and other general corporate and commercial legal issues.
Joshua has a Bachelor of Commerce (with distinction) and a Bachelor of Laws (cum laude) from the University of Cape Town in South Africa. He is admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa.
- Advised Partners Group on its investment in GHO Capital Partners’ portfolio company Sterling Pharma Solutions, a global Contract Development and Manufacturing Organization
- Advised Astorg on its acquisition of the Fastmarkets business division of Euromoney Institutional Investor, as part of a £1.61bn acquisition of the financial publisher of Euromoney by Astorg and Epiris
- Advised a consortium of private equity fund and DFI investors in relation to the purchase of subordinated convertible promissory notes and warrants to purchase stock in a California incorporated renewable energy solutions provider*
- Advised a Singapore based private equity fund in relation to the formation of debt based investment vehicle that will invest in the South African education industry*
- Advised Proparco in relation to its direct participation in the Series E-1 funding round of d.light Design Inc.*
- Part of the team that advised African Infrastructure Investment Fund 3 GP Proprietary Limited (in its capacity as the ultimate general partner of the African Infrastructure Fund 3 en commandite partnership) in relation to the establishment of a joint venture with management and the acquisition of a Tier IV data centre in Ghana through the joint venture*
- Part of the team that advised Ninety One SA Proprietary Limited, Investec Bank Limited, Standard Chartered Limited, Johannesburg Branch, Standard Chartered (Mauritius) Limited and Nedbank Limited in relation to the acquisition and corporate restructuring (including a debt-to-equity conversion) of the Tsebo group*
- Part of the team that advised the Marsh McLennan group in relation to the South African leg of its global restructuring implemented to integrate the recently acquired Jardine Lloyd Thompson group into its corporate structure*
*Experience prior to joining Ropes & Gray
DisclaimerRopes & Gray International LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in Delaware, United States of America and is a recognised body regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (with registered number 521000).
- LLB, cum laude, University of Cape Town, 2018
- BCom (Economics with Law), with distinction, University of Cape Town, 2016
Admissions / Qualifications
- Gauteng, South Africa, 2021
- High Court of South Africa