Oliver Nip is a partner in the private equity transaction group of the corporate department in Hong Kong. Oliver focuses his practice on representing various private equity firms sponsors such as Bain Capital, TPG Capital and Blackstone and other investment managers in their cross-border buyouts, disposals and pre-IPO investments in China and other Asian jurisdictions.
Oliver also has experience in advising in growth investments, co-investments, joint ventures, as well as other types of corporate transactions and mergers and acquisitions of Hong Kong listed companies.
Prior to joining the firm, Oliver worked at an international law firm in its London and Hong Kong offices.
- Advised ICBC International Holdings Limited in its investment in Beijing Missfresh E-Commerce Co., Ltd.
- Advised TPG Capital on its US$400+ million investment in Kakao Corporation’s transport / taxi app business, Kakao Mobility.
- Advised MBK Partners in their acquisition of a controlling stake in Apex International Corporation.
- Advised Bain Capital in its acquisition of Camp Australia, a leading provider of before and after-school care programs in Australia.
- Advised Bain Capital in its purchase in equity interest of a leading Australian-based early education center operator.
- Advised the Canada Pension Plan Investment Board (“CPPIB”) in its acquisition of an approximately 20% stake in Homeplus, Tesco’s South Korean business, for US$534 million as part of the consortium led by MBK Partners. Named Deal of the Year in 2015/2016 by multiple publications including the Asian Lawyer, The American Lawyer, Asian-Mena Counsel and Asian Legal Business.
- Advised China Resources Capital in its investments in health care and infrastructure sectors.
- Advised a leading U.S. fund in its various healthcare projects in the Asian-Pacific Region.
- Advised a global investment bank in its US$100 million convertible bond financing of a newly formed subsidiary of GCL New Energy Holdings Limited to fund the purchase of grid-connected solar farms in China.
- Advised Nova Founders Capital and its affiliated companies in numerous rounds of private equity financings. Nova Founders Capital builds and supports internet companies focusing on the financial services sector in various markets around the world.
- Advised Blackstone in the acquisition of China-based Suzhou Xinrong-Best Medical Instrument Co., Ltd.
- Advised Blackstone as the lead buyer of a consortium in the proposed US$625 million take-private transaction of China-based Pactera Technology International Ltd.
- Advised a leading U.S. fund in its acquisition of a group focusing on English language training in China.
- Advised MYOB and its parent company Bain Capital in the buyout of BankLink New Zealand and other corporate transactions.
- Advised AlpInvest as part of the consortium in the US$818 million take-private transaction of AsiaInfo-Linkage, a NASDAQ-listed telecommunications company with primary operations in China.
- Advised Asia-IO Acquisition Fund L.P. in the acquisition of the controlling interest (55.17%) in Daiwa Associate Holdings Limited (1037.HK), a company listed on the Hong Kong Stock Exchange that specializes in electronics component manufacturing and distribution. The transaction triggered an unconditional general offer to the remaining shareholders by Asia-IO Acquisition Fund.
- Advised various private equity sponsors on general offers and privatizations of Hong Kong listed companies.
- Advised a PRC petrochemical company (currently listed on the HKSE) in various rounds of pre-IPO financing.*
*Transaction was completed prior to joining Ropes & Gray
- Quoted, “STAR Market tech board offers hope to Chinese venture capitalists,” Reuters (August 16, 2019)
- Postgraduate Certificate (Laws), University of Hong Kong, 2007
- Bachelor of Laws, First Class Honours, University of Hong Kong, 2006
- BBA (Law), First Class Honours, University of Hong Kong, 2005