Steven C. Obiajulu
Steven Obiajulu is an associate in the corporate department, with a focus on transactions involving technology and intellectual property (IP). Steven joined the firm in 2013 as a patent agent. Steven has advised clients regarding IP and technology issues in corporate transactions (private equity transactions, public company M&A and minority investments) and has represented clients in M&A deals for the acquisition of proprietary software platforms.
In addition to his transactional work, Steven also provides clients with strategic advice regarding the creation and management of intellectual property assets. Steven has five years of experience assisting clients with prosecuting patent applications, managing patent portfolios, developing patenting strategies, and performing patent validity, infringement, and freedom-to-operate analyses for a wide range of technologies, including medical devices, computer software, circuit design, consumer products, and power electronics.
Prior to joining the firm, Steven received his Bachelor’s of Science in Mechanical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). While a student at MIT, Steven completed medical device research internships at the Wyss Institute of Harvard University, the medical device company Boston Scientific, and the MIT Precision Engineering Research Group. Steven is a named inventor on one issued patent (U.S. Patent No.10,058,647) and one published patent application arising from his research in the field of medical device design.
- Represented Gauge Capital in its recapitalization of irth Solutions, a leading provider of 811 ticket management and field service management software.
- Represented GHO Capital in its sale of Caprion, a specialized laboratory service business serving pharma and biotech companies, providing specialized flow cytometry immune monitoring and quantitative mass spectrometry proteomics, to Arsenal Capital.
- Represented U.S. technology companies in developing international IP portfolios.
- Represented U.S. medical technology company in strategic portfolio development to protect a cutting edge cardiovascular technology and assisted in U.S. and European patent office disputes.
- Assisted a U.S. medical technology company in U.S. and European patent office disputes, and in strategic portfolio development to protect a cutting edge cardiovascular technology.
- Assisted a medical device company in relation to patent revocation proceedings before the UK High Court.
- Assisted a U.S. consumer electronic and drug delivery device manufacturer in challenging several competitor patents through inter partes review proceedings at the PTAB.
- Obiajulu, Steven C., Ellen T. Roche, Frank A. Pigula, and Conor J. Walsh. "Soft pneumatic artificial muscles with low threshold pressures for a cardiac compression device." In ASME 2013 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2013.
- Craig, Jeffrey W., Fang-Yuan Chang, Jeffrey H. Kim, Steven C. Obiajulu, and Sean F. Brady. "Expanding small-molecule functional metagenomics through parallel screening of broad-host-range cosmid environmental DNA libraries in diverse proteobacteria." Applied and environmental microbiology 76, no. 5 (2010): 1633-1641.
- Baelden, Camille, Tejas Inamdar, David McCalib, Steven Obiajulu, Mathieu Picard, and Michael M. Fuenfer. "Transparent warming cover for short term temperature regulation of medical patients." U.S. Patent Application 14/773,079, filed January 14, 2016.
- Roche, Ellen T., Steven Obiajulu, Conor J. Walsh, David J. Mooney, and Frank A. Pigula. "Biomimetic actuation device and system, and methods for controlling a biomimetic actuation device and system." U.S. Patent Application 15/027,246, filed December 1, 2016.
- JD, Harvard Law School, 2018; Dean’s Scholar Prize in Structuring Private Equity Transactions; Dean’s Scholar Prize in Analytical Methods for Lawyers
- SB (Mechanical Engineering), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2013; Tau Beta Pi; Pi Tau Sigma