Steven C. Obiajulu
Steven Obiajulu is an associate in the intellectual property (IP) transactions group. Steven joined the firm as a patent agent in 2013. Steven has been actively involved in advising clients regarding IP and technology issues for private equity transactions and in performing due diligence for such transactions.
In addition to his transactional work, Steven also provides clients with strategic advice regarding the creation and management of intellectual property assets. Steven has five years of experience assisting clients with prosecuting patent applications, managing patent portfolios, developing patenting strategies, and performing patent validity, infringement, and freedom-to-operate analyses for a wide range of technologies, including medical devices, computer software, circuit design, consumer products, and power electronics.
Prior to joining the firm, Steven received his Bachelor’s of Science in Mechanical Engineering from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT). While a student at MIT, Steven completed medical device research internships at the Wyss Institute of Harvard University, the medical device company Boston Scientific, and the MIT Precision Engineering Research Group. Steven is a named inventor on two published patent applications arising from his research in the field of medical device design. Steven has also coauthored two peer-reviewed research papers relating to his research.
- Assisted U.S. technology companies in developing international IP portfolios.
- Assisted a U.S. medical technology company in U.S. and European patent office disputes, and in strategic portfolio development to protect a cutting edge cardiovascular technology.
- Assisted a medical device company in relation to patent revocation proceedings before the UK High Court.
- Assisted a U.S. consumer electronic and drug delivery device manufacturer in challenging several competitor patents through inter partes review proceedings at the PTAB.
- Obiajulu, Steven C., Ellen T. Roche, Frank A. Pigula, and Conor J. Walsh. "Soft pneumatic artificial muscles with low threshold pressures for a cardiac compression device." In ASME 2013 International Design Engineering Technical Conferences and Computers and Information in Engineering Conference, American Society of Mechanical Engineers, 2013.
- Craig, Jeffrey W., Fang-Yuan Chang, Jeffrey H. Kim, Steven C. Obiajulu, and Sean F. Brady. "Expanding small-molecule functional metagenomics through parallel screening of broad-host-range cosmid environmental DNA libraries in diverse proteobacteria." Applied and environmental microbiology 76, no. 5 (2010): 1633-1641.
- Baelden, Camille, Tejas Inamdar, David McCalib, Steven Obiajulu, Mathieu Picard, and Michael M. Fuenfer. "Transparent warming cover for short term temperature regulation of medical patients." U.S. Patent Application 14/773,079, filed January 14, 2016.
- Roche, Ellen T., Steven Obiajulu, Conor J. Walsh, David J. Mooney, and Frank A. Pigula. "Biomimetic actuation device and system, and methods for controlling a biomimetic actuation device and system." U.S. Patent Application 15/027,246, filed December 1, 2016.