Adrianne has broad experience advising health care and higher education clients on complex and innovative transactions and regulatory matters.
Adrianne regularly advises clients across the country on structuring and negotiating health care acquisitions, affiliations, joint ventures, spin-off and alignment strategies, restructurings, managed care contracting and value-based care arrangements, and general corporate counseling and business transactions. Adrianne is also an experienced public finance attorney and advises on public and private financing transactions for non-profit health care and higher education entities.
Adrianne has extensive experience advising clients regarding health care regulatory matters, including the Stark law, Anti-Kickback Statute, HIPAA privacy and security rules, corporate practice of medicine, and telehealth laws. She is also advising clients on a range of issues associated with the COVID-19 pandemic, including navigating financial relief provisions for health care providers under the Coronavirus Aid, Relief, and Economic Security Act (CARES Act).
- Health Care Transactions. Advised health care providers across the country in acquisitions, joint ventures, and strategic and commercial business transactions. Represented multiple hospitals and systems in affiliations, network development and expansion transactions, both as buyer and seller. Represented the life sciences subsidiary of a major technology company in its collaboration with a large provider of insurance and expansion into technology-enabled risk products. Represented a large nonprofit hospital in an innovative genomics joint venture with a for-profit laboratory testing company.
- Academic Medical Centers. Represented multiple universities and academic medical centers in structuring and negotiating acquisitions, alignment, restructuring, and spin-off transactions. Counseled a national university regarding strategic options related to spin-off or realignment of controlled teaching hospital and faculty practice plans, and separation of credit structures. Advised a national university regarding evaluation and negotiation of spin-off transactions for its controlled teaching hospital, including with respect to potential transactions with both a for-profit and non-profit acquirer.
- Public Finance. Participated in more than $5 billion in various tax-exempt and taxable bond offerings for multiple health care, higher education and biotech clients in Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut and California as borrower’s, bond and underwriter’s counsel.
- Managed Care. Provide ongoing managed care contracting advice to clients across the country, with particular emphasis on value-based and innovative payment models. Counseled a major academic medical center on an innovative joint venture with a prominent payor.
- Private Equity. Represented multiple private equity firms in due diligence, acquisitions, sales and exits, and ongoing portfolio counseling, with particular expertise with practice management company structuring and advice. Represented DuPage Medical Group, one of the nation’s largest independent, multi-specialty physician groups, and DMG Management Services in a US$1.45 billion strategic partnership with Ares Management. Represented TPG Capital in its acquisition of Mediware Information Systems, Inc., a supplier of software platforms for health care providers. Represented Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe in its acquisition of InnovAge, a provider of senior care programs and services.
- Privacy and Security Compliance. Counseled a hospital regarding response to an investigation and negotiation of a resolution agreement with the HHS Office for Civil Rights following a HIPAA security incident, as well as an academic medical center in connection with an investigation and negotiation of a resolution agreement with a state Attorney General. Provide ongoing counseling of multiple health care organizations regarding privacy and security compliance matters.
- Co-author, “How To Determine Eligibility for HHS Emergency Funds,” Law360 (April 24, 2020)
- Co-author, “Vertical Integration and Firewalls in Health Care Transactions,” Bloomberg Law (June 19, 2019)
- Co-author, “What’s Ahead for Value-Based Health Care,” Law360 (March 1, 2017)
- Co-author, “What’s Ahead for Value-Based Health Care?,” Ropes & Gray Alert (February 22, 2017)
- Editor, “Representing Hospitals and Health Systems Handbook,” Part 7, Chapter 29, American Health Lawyers Association (2016)
- Co-author, “Emerging Trends in Health Care Joint Ventures,” Timothy M. McCrystal, Laurence A. Kraemer, Spencer Hoffman and Adrianne Ortega, paper accompanying presentation at the American Health Lawyers Association Annual Meeting (June 2014)
- Moderator, “Investing in Value-Based Care Provider Organizations,” Ropes & Gray Healthcare & Life Sciences: Investor Insights Discussion Series (November 30, 2021)
- Presenter, “The State of Play on Provider Relief Fund Guidance,” Greater New York Hospital Association Member Briefing (August 19, 2021)
- Moderator, “Payor/Provider Partnerships,” Boston Bar Association Health Care Conference (June 3, 2021)
- Presenter, “Health Care Compliance Considerations: Overview of the FDCA, Health Care Fraud and Abuse Laws, and Enforcement Trends,” Client Presentation (April 19, 2021)
- Presenter, “2021 Directions in Health Care and Under the Biden Administration,” Client Presentation (March 31, 2021)
- Presenter, “AKS and Stark Value-Based Final Rules,” Ropes & Gray Webinar (December 14, 2020)
- Presenter, “COVID-19 Relief Funding Updates,” Ropes & Gray Webinar (November 5, 2020)
- Presenter, “COVID-19 Relief Funding: Navigating Applications, Reporting, and Guidance,” Massachusetts Hospital Association Webinar (October 30, 2020)
- Presenter, “COVID-19 and Emerging Strategies/Opportunities in Telehealth and Digital Health,” Client Presentation (July 2, 2020)
- Speaker, “COVID-19: Liquidity and Municipal Bond Considerations for Hospitals,” Ropes & Gray Webinar (March 31, 2020)
- Speaker, “Coronavirus Update: Developments for the Health Care Industry,” Pennsylvania Bar Institute Teleconference (March 27, 2020)
- Speaker, “What the Proposed Rules Mean for Today’s Deals,” Ropes & Gray Webinar (November 6, 2019)
- Speaker, “New Proposed Value-Based Care Amendments to the AKS, CMPL, and Stark Law,” Ropes & Gray Webinar (October 23, 2019)
- Panelist, “Hot Topics in Reimbursement: Provider-based and Overpayments/Recoupments,” Boston Bar Association Health Care Conference (May 30, 2019)
- Co-presenter, “Value-Based Health Care for AMCs and Health Care Systems – Part II: Acquisition and Joint Venture Strategies,” Ropes & Gray Teleconference (May 24, 2018)
- Co-presenter, “Telehealth in the US and Abroad – Part 1: US Law & Trends,” Ropes & Gray Telehealth Teleconference Series (December 4, 2017)
- Co-presenter, “A View from Washington of President Trump's First 60 Days,” Ropes & Gray Value-based Healthcare Teleconference Series (March 15, 2017)
- JD, cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 2009; Projects Editor, American Journal of Law and Medicine; Edward F. Hennessey Distinguished Scholar
- MPH (Health Law, Bioethics and Human Rights), Boston University, 2006
- BS (Behavioral Neuroscience), cum laude, Northeastern University, 2004
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2010
- Massachusetts, 2009
- Boston Magazine “Top Lawyers” (2021)
- Chambers USA: Up and Coming (2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2021-2022)