Adrianne has broad experience advising health care and higher education clients on complex and innovative health care transactions and regulatory matters. Adrianne advises clients across the country on structuring and negotiating health care acquisitions, affiliations, joint ventures, spin-off and alignment strategies, restructurings, managed care contracting and value-based care arrangements, and general corporate counseling and business transactions. Adrianne is also an experienced public finance attorney and advises on public and private financing transactions for non-profit health care and higher education entities.
Adrianne has extensive experience advising clients regarding health care regulatory matters, including the Stark law, Anti-Kickback Statute, HIPAA privacy and security rules, corporate practice of medicine, and telemedicine laws.
- Health Care Transactions. Represented multiple community hospitals, large health systems and other health care providers across the country in affiliations and joint ventures, including membership substitution, sale of controlling interests, and asset sales. Represented nonprofit hospital system in the sale of its assisted living facility to a for-profit buyer. Represented a community hospital in physician network development and integration. Represented a large nonprofit hospital in an innovative genomics joint venture with a for-profit laboratory testing company.
- Academic Medical Centers. Represented multiple universities and academic medical centers in structuring and negotiating acquisitions, alignment, restructuring, and spin-off transactions. Counseled a national university regarding strategic options related to spin-off or realignment of controlled teaching hospital and faculty practice plans, and separation of credit structures. Advised a national university regarding evaluation and negotiation of spin-off transactions for its controlled teaching hospital, including with respect to potential transactions with both a for-profit and non-profit acquirer.
- Public Finance. Participated in more than $5 billion in various tax-exempt and taxable bond offerings for multiple health care, higher education and biotech clients in Massachusetts, New York, Connecticut and California as borrower’s, bond and underwriter’s counsel.
- Managed Care. Provide ongoing managed care contracting advice to clients across the country, with particular emphasis on value-based and innovative payment models. Counseled a major academic medical center on an innovative joint venture with a prominent payor.
- Private Equity. Represented multiple private equity firms in due diligence, acquisitions, sales and exits, and ongoing portfolio counseling, with particular expertise with practice management company structuring and advice. Represented DuPage Medical Group, one of the nation’s largest independent, multi-specialty physician groups, and DMG Management Services in a US$1.45 billion strategic partnership with Ares Management. Represented Avista Capital Partners on its acquisition of National Spine and Pain Centers, a provider of administrative services to pain management services. Represented TPG Capital in its acquisition of Mediware Information Systems, Inc., a supplier of software platforms for health care providers. Represented Welsh, Carson, Anderson & Stowe in its acquisition of InnovAge, a provider of senior care programs and services.
- Privacy and Security Compliance. Counseled a hospital regarding response to an investigation and negotiation of a resolution agreement with the HHS Office for Civil Rights following a HIPAA security incident, as well as an academic medical center in connection with an investigation and negotiation of a resolution agreement with a state Attorney General. Provide ongoing counseling of multiple health care organizations regarding privacy and security compliance matters.
- Co-author, “Vertical Integration and Firewalls in Health Care Transactions,” Bloomberg Law (June 19, 2019)
- Co-author, “What’s Ahead for Value-Based Health Care,” Law360 (March 1, 2017)
- Co-author, “What’s Ahead for Value-Based Health Care?,” Ropes & Gray Alert (February 22, 2017)
- Editor, “Representing Hospitals and Health Systems Handbook,” Part 7, Chapter 29, American Health Lawyers Association (2016)
- Co-author, “Emerging Trends in Health Care Joint Ventures,” Timothy M. McCrystal, Laurence A. Kraemer, Spencer Hoffman and Adrianne Ortega, paper accompanying presentation at the American Health Lawyers Association Annual Meeting (June 2014)
- Speaker, “What the Proposed Rules Mean for Today’s Deals,” Ropes & Gray Webinar (November 6, 2019)
- Speaker, “New Proposed Value-Based Care Amendments to the AKS, CMPL, and Stark Law,” Ropes & Gray Webinar (October 23, 2019)
- Panelist, “Hot Topics in Reimbursement: Provider-based and Overpayments/Recoupments,” Boston Bar Association Health Care Conference (May 30, 2019)
- Co-presenter, “Value-Based Health Care for AMCs and Health Care Systems – Part II: Acquisition and Joint Venture Strategies,” Ropes & Gray Teleconference (May 24, 2018)
- Co-presenter, “Telehealth in the US and Abroad – Part 1: US Law & Trends,” Ropes & Gray Telehealth Teleconference Series (December 4, 2017)
- Co-presenter, “A View from Washington of President Trump's First 60 Days,” Ropes & Gray Value-based Healthcare Teleconference Series (March 15, 2017)
- JD, cum laude, Boston University School of Law, 2009; Projects Editor, American Journal of Law and Medicine; Edward F. Hennessey Distinguished Scholar
- MPH (Health Law, Bioethics and Human Rights), Boston University, 2006
- BS (Behavioral Neuroscience), cum laude, Northeastern University, 2004