Anne Phillips Ogilby
Anne provides transactional and general counseling advice to health care, higher education, and other non-profit entities. She is the co-head of the firm's colleges and universities practice group, practice group leader of the public finance group and former co-chair of the health care group. Anne also devotes a significant portion of her time to general corporate counseling, including advising boards of directors on fiduciary duties, as well as operational and compliance matters.
- Anne has led many corporate affiliations, divestitures, and restructurings of health care systems, higher educational institutions, and independent schools, including mergers of colleges and universities; mergers and affiliations among academic medical centers and community hospitals; and mergers, spin-offs, joint ventures, and disaffiliations involving universities, academic medical centers and health care systems. She has negotiated and restructured many academic affiliation agreements between universities and affiliated teaching hospitals.
- Anne has participated in more than 300 tax-exempt and taxable financings. She was the author of the 2008 request to the SEC that resulted in a no action letter permitting tax-exempt borrowers to bid in their own auctions for auction rates securities, thereby providing an exit mechanism for clients caught in the collapse of the auction market. She is particularly familiar with the challenges facing non-profit institutions in financial distress and structuring and restructuring multiple entity obligated groups.
- Anne also advises a number of medical schools and independent research institutions, particularly those focused on genomic research, on corporate, tax, and other matters.
- JD, University of Virginia School of Law, 1984
- AB, magna cum laude, Harvard College, 1980; Phi Beta Kappa
- Boston Magazine “Top Lawyers” (2021)
- The Best Lawyers in America, Boston Public Finance Law “Lawyer of the Year” (2018)
- Legal 500 (2013-2015, 2018)
- The Best Lawyers in America (2001-2022)
- Chambers USA: America's Leading Lawyers for Business (2006-2021)
- Lawdragon 3000: Leading Lawyers in America
- Massachusetts Super Lawyers
- Nightingale’s Healthcare News, Outstanding Healthcare Transaction Lawyers