Emily J. Oldshue
Emily Oldshue brings a leading transactional lawyer’s perspective to mergers and acquisitions and the full range of capital markets transactions. Her insight into how to navigate challenging business issues and complex transactions has made her a trusted advisor for a diverse base of public and private companies, investment banks and private equity funds.
Clients involved in capital markets transactions benefit from Emily’s broad perspective—she represents issuers and underwriters across industries, and draws on her extensive securities law experience to help clients manage complicated disclosure issues and execute successful transactions. Emily’s M&A experience is equally broad, and includes cross-border deals, divestitures and bolt-ons, as well as a variety of other complex strategic transactions.
In addition to her transactional work, Emily represents companies—including Pfizer and Domino’s, among others—in ongoing corporate governance, securities law compliance and reporting, and commercial law matters.
Emily’s passion for helping clients achieve their goals extends to her pro bono practice. She leads Ropes & Gray’s name change project, a collaboration with GLAD that matches attorneys with transgender clients seeking assistance with the legal name change and gender marker update process. She also represents clients through the firm’s medical-legal partnership, which matches patients of Dorchester House, Boston Medical Center and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute seeking legal assistance with attorney volunteers. In recognition of her commitment to pro bono service, Emily was selected to participate in the Boston Bar Association’s 2018 Public Interest Leadership Program.
- Represented public and private acquirers, sellers and targets in domestic and cross-border M&A and private equity transactions.
- Medtronic in its divestiture of investments in more than 70 portfolio companies and in its acquisition of Mazor Robotics
- Becton Dickinson in its acquisition of GenCell Biosystems
- Consortium of Boston hospitals in transactions involving the sale of a tri-gen power plant servicing Longwood Medical and Academic Area institutions
- Aegerion Pharmaceuticals in its merger of equals with Novelion Therapeutics (Canada)
- National Amusements in an asset sale transaction
- Private Equity
- TriArtisan Capital Advisors in its acquisition of a majority position in TGI Friday’s and the subsequent merger of TGI Friday’s into a special purpose acquisition company (SPAC)
- BlackRock in more than 20 co-investment transactions across industries, including investments in American Express Global Business Travel and Alibaba
- TPG Capital in its acquisition of J. Crew
- Symmetry Surgical in its sale to RoundTable Healthcare Partners
- Bain Capital Ventures in successive investments in Thorley Industries
- Advised underwriters, issuers and initial purchasers in IPOs, follow-on offerings and registered and unregistered note offerings across a variety of sectors, including life sciences, food and beverage, financial services, technology and manufacturing. Representative experience includes offerings by:
- Autolus Therapeutics (England and Wales)
- CRISPR Therapeutics (Switzerland)
- Fulcrum Therapeutics
- Karyopharm Therapeutics
- Dunkin’ Brands
- Norcraft Companies
- PennantPark Investment Corp.
- JD, Yale Law School, 2010
- BA, Wellesley College, 2006; Phi Beta Kappa