Melih Okan joined Ropes & Gray in 2018 as a technical advisor in the intellectual property group. He assists clients with the technical aspects of litigation, counseling, and licensing matters on a variety of subjects, including semiconductors, optical imaging, data storage, aerospace, wireless communications, RF electronics, network security, and medical devices.
Prior to joining the firm, Melih received his Ph.D. in physics from MIT. At MIT, Melih and his team constructed one of the first quantum gas microscopes for fermionic atoms in ultracold temperatures, which can serve as a natural simulation tool for a variety of applications, including quantum computers, neutron stars, and high-temperature superconductors. As part of his research, Melih acquired technical expertise on quantum technologies, free-space and fiber optics, lasers, RF electronics, and ultra-high vacuum solutions. Additionally, as an undergraduate researcher, Melih conducted research in the fields of plasmonics and microfluidics.
- Parkervision, Inc. v. LG Electronics (W.D. Tex.): Serving as a technical advisor to LG Electronics in a ten-patent suit relating to electromagnetic signal conversion for communication devices.
- Cellect, LLC v. Samsung Electronics (D. Colo., PTAB): Serving as a technical advisor to Samsung Electronics in a suit alleging infringement of eleven patents directed to cameras in smartphones and tablets, and twenty inter partes reviews.
- Godo Kaisha IP Bridge 1 v. Nokia Corp., Godo Kaisha IP Bridge 1 v. Ericsson Inc. (E.D. Tex): Serving as a technical advisor to Godo Kaisha IP Bridge 1 in two seven-patent suits related to 4G LTE and 5G technologies.
- Serving a Technology Start-up as a technical advisor in analyzing its patent portfolio and trade secrets related to data storage technology for a potential assertion against a leading technology company.
- Sonrai Memory Limited v. LG Electronics (W.D. Tex.): Served as a technical advisor to LG Electronics in a two-patent suit relating to computer chip architectures.
- A Global Leader in Medical Technology, Services, and Solutions (PTAB): Served as a technical advisor to a global leader in medical technology, services, and solutions in an inter partes review proceeding on a patent directed to prosthetic heart valves.
- Target v. Proxicom (PTAB): Served as a technical advisor to Target in two inter partes review proceedings, on two patents directed to wireless location technology.
- A Multinational Computer Software Company: Analyzed the company’s patent portfolio relating to AI-based communications for potential assertion against the company’s competitors.
- Canon v. TCL Electronic Holdings (E.D. Tex.): Served as a technical advisor to TCL Electronic Holdings in a suit alleging infringement of five patents directed to external display technologies.
- Godo Kaisha IP Bridge 1 v. Qualcomm Inc. (D. Del.): Served as a technical advisor to Godo Kaisha IP Bridge 1 in an eight-patent suit related to semiconductor manufacturing technology.
- Papst Licensing v. Apple (Fed. Cir.): Served as a technical advisor to Apple on appeals of three inter partes review decisions on three patents related to data acquisition systems.
- PACidTechnologiesv. Samsung Electronics (E.D. Tex.): Served as a technical advisor to Samsung Electronics in a two-patent lawsuit relating to network authentication.
- Co-author, “Spin Transport in a Mott Insulator of Ultracold Fermions,” Science (December 2018)
- Co-author, “Observation of spatial charge and spin correlations in the 2D Fermi-Hubbard model,” Science (September 2016)
- Co-author, “Observation of 2D Fermionic Mott Insulators of K 40 with Single-Site Resolution,” Physical Review Letters (March 2016)
- Co-author, “Quantum-gas microscope for fermionic atoms,” Physical Review Letters (May 2015)
- Okan et al., “A microfluidic based differential plasmon resonance sensor,” Sensors and Actuators b: Chemical (December 2011)
- Presenter, “Quantum Gas Microscope for Fermionic 40K,” APS Division of Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics Meeting (June 2017)
- PhD (Physics), Massachusetts Institute of Technology, 2018
- BS (Physics), magna cum laude, Bilkent University, 2011
Admissions / Qualifications
- U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, Patent Agent, 2021