Michael S. Pilo
Michael Pilo primarily concentrates his practice on a full range of capital markets transactions involving investment banks, public companies, private companies, private equity sponsors and/or their portfolio companies. Based in the New York office, Michael also regularly counsels public company clients and their advisors on issues including securities law compliance, corporate governance practices and disclosure obligations. In addition to his law firm experience, Michael has been a counsel at Bank of America Merrill Lynch and Morgan Stanley in each of their respective capital markets legal groups.
- Represented many of the world’s leading investment banks as underwriters in connection with initial public offerings and other securities offerings, including for the following companies:
- Moderna, Inc.
- Kiniksa Pharmaceuticals, Ltd.
- bluebird bio, Inc.
- Quanterix Corporation
- Dimension Therapeutics, Inc.
- Clementia Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- Madrigal Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Momenta Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Proteostasis Therapeutics, Inc.
- Idera Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
- Radius Health, Inc.
- Viamet Pharmaceuticals Corp.
- Cerulean Pharma Inc.
- Connecture, Inc.
- Tyme Technologies, Inc.
- Represented issuers and sponsors in initial public offerings, including:
- Surgery Partners, Inc. (and its sponsor H.I.G. Capital, LLC)
- LogicBio Therapeutics, Inc.
- Habit Restaurants, Inc. (and its sponsor KarpReilly)
- Represented issuers, selling stockholders and/or private equity sponsors, in diverse securities offerings including:
- The Michaels Companies, Inc.
- Sarepta Therapeutics, Inc.
- Bright Horizons Family Solutions Inc.
- The Habit Restaurants, Inc.
- Planet Fitness, Inc.
- Represented Surgery Partners, Inc., NFP Corp., Optimas OE Solutions (and its sponsor American Industrial Partners), Change Healthcare Holdings, Inc. and Covenant Surgical Partners, Inc., as well as the initial purchasers for Karyopharm Therapeutics Inc., in high yield bond offerings.
- SPAC experience:
- Represented various issuers, underwriters and strategic investors in SPAC IPOs
- Represented a number of publicly-listed SPACs or counter-parties in connection with acquisitions, mergers and other business combination transactions
- Co-author, “Court more likely to equate deal price with fair value following appropriate sales process,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (May 10, 2017)
- Co-author, “Court again rejects transaction price as best measure of fair value,” International Law Office Corporate Finance/M&A Newsletter (May 10, 2017)
- Co-author, “Risks and Perils of Crowdfunding Your Biotech Start-up,” Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology News (April 1, 2013)
- JD, cum laude, Brooklyn Law School, 2009; Journal of Corporate, Financial and Commercial Law, notes & comments editor
- BS (Psychology), Union College, 2002
Admissions / Qualifications
- New York, 2010